S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dashboard Blank???

Old 11-12-2000, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that there is a blank on the dash to the right of the steering wheel, exactly opposite of the cruise control switch. Does anyone know what that blank is for?? Is there an optional control that is not available in the US.

Also, why no fog lights on the car? Has anyone tried to mount fogs in the lower bumper fake grill opening??

BigRedESS
Old 11-12-2000, 01:56 PM

That is where the dealer put the armed light for my alarm. I assume that is what it is for.
Old 11-12-2000, 01:57 PM

Big Red:

This topic was covered extensively when the first cars were newely arrived in late '99.

What we found:

No accessories exist for this hole. It appears to be there so that the cruise switch can be moved to the other side on RHD cars. But since there is no cruise available in RHD markets, we don't get the switch we need with the slant in the other direction.

The blank is not the same as any other honda, so you cannot get an un-marked switch to control your foglights or your garage door (my favorite).

The Cruise switch only exists with a slant-to-the-left configuration. Thus you can't buy another one of these switches and put it on the right side and have things look 'clean'.

Overall.... RICK.... can you hear me? This is another piece with pent up demand. No cows are involved, but it would be one of those 'sure buys' for me. The problem is that making a molded piece of plastic to modify the Cruise switch would not be an inexpensive project. I would guess that making a mold for an injection molding machine to make just the slanted button part with the light insert would be $5,000 to $10,000. Minimum runs would likely be around 500 units.

I'm afraid we are going to be SOL on this one unless Honda comes out with some accessory for this blank... unless you are satisfied with a conventional switch mounted on the blank. (not acceptable for me. I'd use a hidden switch before I put a non 'factory' switch in the dash)

Perhaps the extraordinary out-of-of-the-box thinking Mr. Hesel demonstrated on the windscreen will yield us an elegant solution here as well.

Dan.

[This message has been edited by Skarv (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old 11-13-2000, 07:45 AM

I was thinking about the same thing. That switch would make a great place for use as a garage door opener. What about some our our Aussie or Brit friends. I am sure they can get the switch over there.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by BigRedESS:
Also, why no fog lights on the car? Has anyone tried to mount fogs in the lower bumper fake grill opening?
I find it shortsighted that not one of the many headlight/foglight manufacturers has come out with a molded light for the S2K, and offered it to Honda for resale. (Honda already have several varieties of foglights available for other Honda models.) I always thought that the 'fake' vent for the S2K was a bit cheesy which should either be filled with a proper foglight or changed to a ducted air vent to the brake system.

I was planning to buy a second cruise control switch for the blank panel, and use that to switch any foglights I might instal. I think any of the regular foglight fixtures might look badly out of place in the existing fake vent opening. Have you considered mounting them behind the front grill, so they wouldn't be so obvious?

Old 11-13-2000, 10:58 AM

1Y2:

Just remember that that second cruise switch will slant toward the steering column, not toward the user.

Functional - yes, aesthetic - no.

Dan
Old 11-13-2000, 12:17 PM

My (aftermarket) alarm coded valet switch lives there now.