S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Factory alarm issues!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Factory alarm issues!

I have the Honda installed factory alarm system on my 2002.

Here's the problem I have.

I understand how to hold the "lock" and "option" buttons on the remote to arm or disarm the alarm. That seems to work ok.

Now if I do NOT arm the alarm but leave it disarmed and open the door locks with the remote, I can open the door, no problem.

If I do NOT arm the alarm but use the remote to lock the doors with the top down for instance and then go out to the car for something I left in it and reach over the door and manually unlock the door and open the door the alarm then goes off and usually this happens when I do NOT have the remote on me to turn it off causing a huge scene (since I have 128db twin air horns!).

So WHY does the alarm arm itself like this? As far as I can tell there is no way to prevent this if I use the remote to lock the doors, even when the mode is set to disarm (no audible horn chirp when I lock the doors with remote) and yet the alarm still goes off if the door is opened without the remote. ?????? HELP!

Second question: I have this small, black button under the dash, looks like it has something to do with the alarm but I can't tell that it does anything.

3rd question: If the red LED on the center console is blinking red...does that mean the alarm is armed? It seems to blink red all the time even when it's not armed (no audible horn chirps when the doors are locked or unlocked with remote).

Any advice on the factory alarm you guys can give would be helpful.

Thanks.

- J

Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM

1) You are not "arming" and "disarming" the alarm. You are enabling or disabling auditory warnings. I run silent as I hate hearing the "beep beep" of car alarms. You will always arm the alarm when using the lock button on the fob.

2) The underdash button is the valet button to disable the alarm for valet parking.

3) The red light is the "armed" light.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Apollo,Aug 28 2009, 10:24 AM
1) You are not "arming" and "disarming" the alarm. You are enabling or disabling auditory warnings. I run silent as I hate hearing the "beep beep" of car alarms. You will always arm the alarm when using the lock button on the fob.

2) The underdash button is the valet button to disable the alarm for valet parking.

3) The red light is the "armed" light.
You're telling me that there is no way to lock the car doors with the remote without arming the alarm?

How does this "Valet" button work? Just push it once and the alarm is disarmed or do I need to push and hold it?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JLUDE,Aug 28 2009, 11:00 AM
You're telling me that there is no way to lock the car doors with the remote without arming the alarm?

How does this "Valet" button work? Just push it once and the alarm is disarmed or do I need to push and hold it?
Yes, that is what the OM seems to imply. The fob can only be used to lock and arm the system. You could try valet mode and see if that allows the fob to work without arming the system. I've never tried valet mode with the fob actually.

To enter valet mode:
1) disarm the system
2) with key out, press and hold valet switch for 3+ seconds
3) the status LED will flash once, indicating valet mode

To exit:
1) with key out, press and hold valet switch for 3+ seconds
2) status LED will flash twice, indicating exit from valet mode

I'd be interested to know if this allows the fob to work without arming the system.