S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help -- S2000 clutch slipping at 17000 miles!

Old 11-27-2000, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone got any info about the clutch going out early in the S2000? Just this weekend my clutch started slipping at 5-7k rpm. I took it into the dealer this morning, and they said they would check it out but that it would not be covered under the warranty. This sounds like BS to me. I do not abuse the clutch through super-fast tire smoking starts, and I don't race, though I definitely do use the full RPM range of the engine. I've been driving stick for over ten years -- my last car was an Integra GSR, which I had for 40k miles with no problems. I'm wondering if other people have had clutch problems and what I can do to get Honda to cover this under the warranty.
Please help! They said the cost would be in the neighborhood of $2000! Also, would an aftermarket replacement be cheaper / better?
Old 11-27-2000, 09:15 AM

Well the good new is, you are not alone. Bad news is, others that have had this problem didn't get their clutchs replaced under warrenty because the dealers say it is supposed to wear out. Do a search on this topic and you will find alot more info about it. Also, you might look into a Mugen clutch, I'm not sure about the price but I think it is supposed to be much more durable.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2000, 09:45 AM

Hi

I had the same problem and they said that the clutch could not be replaced under warranty since it is a 'wearable' part.

I told them that was unacceptable and on a 55K sports car this shouldn't happen at 16000 kms.

I fought for a week with the top guys at Honda Canada and got them to fix it all for free as a 'good will gesture'. They even wrote that on the work order (they wrote 'godd will')

Perhaps they meant 'God's will' ?

Maybe, but I think being a loud and persistant person got me my clutch fixed.

If you have any questions you can email me rmasse@richtersecurity.com

Rob

Montreal
Old 11-27-2000, 09:54 AM

I know that several people have gotten their clutch replaced under warranty when their 1-2 grind was fixed according to TSB #55. Maybe some others here can tell you how they managed this.
Old 11-27-2000, 11:34 AM

Hey people-

I had the 1-2 gear fix warrantee work done a couple of weeks ago. At the same time I voiced my displeasure over the poor clutch engagement, and was told by the Honda Tech Line personnel (my Honda Tech, Chris Primbus, at the dealer whose salesforce I HATE is a friend of mine) that the redesigned clutch pressure plate wasn't solving the problem. So... I bit the bullet and asked Scott at King Motorsports to send me a Mugen pressure plate overnight, which he did. Chris installed the clutch pressure plate at no charge (something about the trans already being out of the car and all...) and the car has a much more defined clutch action now- like it should have from the factory, which is appropriate since it is a factory clutch made to Mugen's specs. I strongly recommend it for those who can spare the estra money. I figure that that was better than dropping the trans again later.

-Nick

[This message has been edited by GTRPower (edited November 27, 2000).]
Old 11-27-2000, 11:45 AM

My clutch was replace under warranty and took the oportunity to install a Toda flywheel.

My argument was that even if the clutch is a part designed to wear out it should provide good engagement and mine didn't from the start.

I took the warranty guy for a ride when it was really hot and I have been using the car for a couple of hours. Did a pass and when I shifted at 9K the clutch slipped slightly.

I told him that if this happens at 3K miles what would happen at 10K? He authorized the work, no more questions asked.

I Tried to give them the Mugen pressure plate when they took the trany out but started saying that they couldn't do that because the clutch was been replace under warranty and they needed to use the new warranty part. They did agree to install the flywheel but charged me an hour of labor.
Old 11-28-2000, 04:27 AM

How is it that the clutch replacement can cost $2,000!? I recently got a quote on a clutch replacement on my MR2 and it was near $1,000 including parts and labor. I thought that was disgusting, especially after I got a quote for $600 for the same job at another garage.

Is this a case of Honda dealerships jacking up their service charges, or is the S2K really that hard to work on? One of my main reasons in deciding to purchase this car was the anticipated lowish cost of maintence (being a Honda), but a $2,000 clutch change is huge...

Old 11-28-2000, 06:02 AM

The cost to do it at my local Honda dealer is around $400 bucks plus parts. That's according to the Honda of America book that says how many hours should take to do the job.
Old 11-28-2000, 07:33 AM

That's more like it... (-: