S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

-Official- Is this car worth it thread - vol. 2

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

garage with a car and home alarm, dog, ar-15 with a 9mm backup, live near a police station, or for you canucks, live near the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Two-way pager for the alarm. I have one and it is great. They page your key fob up to one mile away.

As for pricing - the car is valued at what someone will pay for it. There are die hard AP1 fans that will pay top price for one and there are AP2 fans that will do the same. If you have a low mileage car, that is in good condition, selling in the summer months you should expect to pay top dollar no matter what year.
Good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need a hardtop where you live. It sounds pretty dangerous to assume the ragtop to be an adequite barrier between your car and the squondrels that will probably prey upon you. Not 100% but probably better than 50. Hint- locate a hardtop first then the car. Planning ahead and playing it safe(er) is the best way to go.GL
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, like Australia, S2000's were very expensive in Canada so any car that was orginally purchased here will likely have a higher price tag on it than an equivalent car in the US so this price may not be out of line if it is in very good shape. Buy and import is probably the best way to go to get the best bang for your Loonie. If you get a HT remember to get HT locks from Heel and Toe - well worth the money.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the place is not that dangerous. First car stolen was in another apartment. It's just bad luck and also, the old Si is a car looked upon by young teenager without money. It's easy to mod and turn it into a rice fest. I'm guessing this is just something with the model, that's why i was asking about s2000 parts frequently stolen (saw antenna and seats so far).

I'm considering the hardtop too, thanks for the input. Accidents free and Canadian S2000 seems indeed to have a higher price tag. There are some US ones for sale here and i'm not even looking at them (don't know why actually). I guess i'd rather buy a true Canadian S2000. I saw a 2003 with 55,000km going for 18,000$ CAD earlier this spring, so I guess the price isn't off that much. I was mainly wondering if some people would be ready to pay that price for a 2002 and i guess the answer is yes hehe
Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 AM

Car is priced too high for me, but if you look at it and really like it, then it's really up to you. Antenna and seats are probably the most commonly stolen items. If you plan on getting the seat locks from Kodokan, then prepare to wait quite awhile for them. Don't forget, they can still break into your car even with a hardtop.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trep
I really want a clean one, no mods, low mileage, no winter, no accidents, etc. Thing is that they seem to be rare.
Price, 19,000$ CAD (~$18,200 USD). Looks a bit overpriced to me but 2004+ models are easily 20,000$ CAD.
First quote explains your concern in the second quote.

Now, would you pay that for an AP1 ?
I wouldn't but that doesn't matter. What you would does matter. As always with threads like this, the location makes a difference. Pricing can and does vary by market. If you want to know if the price is reasonable then compare to comparable recent sales -- same as buying/selling anything else. What I'd pay down here in Texas is irrelevant unless you're considering buying down here.

I'd appreciate feedbacks regarding what people are looking for on S2000 and how to protect these parts (if possible). I saw the locks for the seats, looks awesome, i'd probably get those; anything else ?
You need to take whatever safeguards you're willing to take. Seat locks are certainly recommended as seats are a major target. Aside from that, it's your call. You can attempt to mitigate theft but nothing you do (even garages and hardtops) is a guarantee against it. As always with security, the more layers the better.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronChef
So I have seen the car (not driven it yet, he wouldn't drive it in the rain) and the only damage I could find (actually he had to point them out) were a couple of tiny chips on the front and another tiny one on the drivers side. The side bolster has some wear but not bad at all for 10 years. Besides that the car looks incredible for a 2002. The hardtop was immaculate. NADA and Edmunds value the car (with all the options including hardtop, rear spoiler, side strakes, and front lip spoiler) at about $12K. I am thinking about offering $12,500 and seeing what he comes back at. I think at $12,500 it would be a steal. At $13,500 I think it would be a good deal. He replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridiums. The tires have quite a bit of rubber left too. Soft top appears to be in great shape too. This may be the one ladies and gentlemen! He needs the money to buy a plane so lets see how motivated he is too let it go.
I agree, 13.5k sounds like a great deal. Those hard tops go for around 3.5k by themselves so you are basically getting the car for 10k. Make sure you read the buyers guide to know what to look for: vin tags, etc. Good luck with your purchase man.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by eremoy
Originally Posted by IronChef' timestamp='1338595282' post='21747706
So I have seen the car (not driven it yet, he wouldn't drive it in the rain) and the only damage I could find (actually he had to point them out) were a couple of tiny chips on the front and another tiny one on the drivers side. The side bolster has some wear but not bad at all for 10 years. Besides that the car looks incredible for a 2002. The hardtop was immaculate. NADA and Edmunds value the car (with all the options including hardtop, rear spoiler, side strakes, and front lip spoiler) at about $12K. I am thinking about offering $12,500 and seeing what he comes back at. I think at $12,500 it would be a steal. At $13,500 I think it would be a good deal. He replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridiums. The tires have quite a bit of rubber left too. Soft top appears to be in great shape too. This may be the one ladies and gentlemen! He needs the money to buy a plane so lets see how motivated he is too let it go.
I agree, 13.5k sounds like a great deal. Those hard tops go for around 3.5k by themselves so you are basically getting the car for 10k. Make sure you read the buyers guide to know what to look for: vin tags, etc. Good luck with your purchase man.
I offered, $13K, then $14K but he seems firm on $15K. If it was silver with a silver hardtop I would pounce on it. But I am not "in love" with the Suzuka Blue ext/int combo. So I guess I will keep looking.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by takeshi
You need to take whatever safeguards you're willing to take. Seat locks are certainly recommended as seats are a major target. Aside from that, it's your call. You can attempt to mitigate theft but nothing you do (even garages and hardtops) is a guarantee against it. As always with security, the more layers the better.
Well, i've never really knew how 2-sided alarm system worked. I live on the 12th floor and the car will be sleeping in the garage, 14 floors beneath. Everything is in conrete and i'm wondering if the signal could reach me. That's something i'd definitely be looking at.

Also, I was looking at some sort of tiny camera with movement detection. But i highly doubt the signal of these could reach me though.

Suggestions ?

trep

Quick Reply: -Official- Is this car worth it thread - vol. 2