S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 06-19-2018, 12:15 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

cgarrett23, I agree with your comments regarding the market here in the PNW. I would have been willing to make the trip from Portland to Seattle for the right car. (I ended up traveling to Bend instead.) I didn't even think about the FaceTime/Skype idea but I like the suggestion as not only would it give you a chance to check out the car but would also allow you to get a feel for the seller's character before heading north. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Have a curiosity from the group, how much does a "damaged" carfax affect value. Last weekend I had a truck tire thrown up at me on the NJ turnpike, ripped off my lip, scruffed up my front bumper and worst of all put a nice big dent in the passenger door and removed a good bit of paint. Very likely itll end up on carfax however the body shop says they're able to save the original panels, with VINs intact. Cars an 07 GPW with 108k on it. Clean carfax before this and will retain original VINs and panels.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
cgarrett23, I agree with your comments regarding the market here in the PNW. I would have been willing to make the trip from Portland to Seattle for the right car. (I ended up traveling to Bend instead.) I didn't even think about the FaceTime/Skype idea but I like the suggestion as not only would it give you a chance to check out the car but would also allow you to get a feel for the seller's character before heading north. Good luck!
Thanks! There is absolutely nothing in the Portland/Vancouver area. Funny you mention Bend because we are headed there in the next couple of weeks (Sunriver) and I have been scouring that area pretty hard as well just in case!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
Have a curiosity from the group, how much does a "damaged" carfax affect value. Last weekend I had a truck tire thrown up at me on the NJ turnpike, ripped off my lip, scruffed up my front bumper and worst of all put a nice big dent in the passenger door and removed a good bit of paint. Very likely itll end up on carfax however the body shop says they're able to save the original panels, with VINs intact. Cars an 07 GPW with 108k on it. Clean carfax before this and will retain original VINs and panels.
If your planning on keeping the car, probably not much to you. Hopefully the repairs will return the car back to a proper condition, if you plan on selling it some day take plenty of before/after pics of the repair as well as a copy of the work done. That will help answer any questions the future owner may have and shows your not hidding anything. It shouldn't hurt the future value much, it's not like it only has something like 5k miles.
Levi
Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
If your planning on keeping the car, probably not much to you. Hopefully the repairs will return the car back to a proper condition, if you plan on selling it some day take plenty of before/after pics of the repair as well as a copy of the work done. That will help answer any questions the future owner may have and shows your not hidding anything. It shouldn't hurt the future value much, it's not like it only has something like 5k miles.
Levi
I certainly don't plan to ever sell it and honestly the front end needed a repsray anyway, planning for it to be better than before once complete. Just my curiosity if I ever needed to sell.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

$12K
06 LBP, 88k miles
-Stock
-No accidents
-9/10 VIN stickers, Rear bumper missing VIN. I've had the rear bumper off, pretty clear that there have been no accidents. OEM bumper, I believe repainted original
-Newer aftermarket cloth top
-Dusty, dirty interior
-Virtually no maintenance records - Seemingly responsible owners, probably not driven hard but not true enthusiasts
-3 previous owners, Mostly Florida history, some Virginia/Md time
-Dirty and swirl marks but paint should clean up nicely
-few dash scratches, nothing too bad
-Minimal bolster wear for age, one small tear in each seat :*(
-Fair condition, sub-par all season tires

It was really hard to give up my super clean 03 Ap1 with 110k miles for this car. I got $11k for the ap1 and bought this for $12k. I'm pretty happy with that and will be more enthused once I get the new one cleaned up. Maintenance is just about up to date since all fluids have been changed, axle nut tsb completed, valves adjusted. Will still need spark plugs, serpentine belt, air/cabin filters, TCT, detailing, seat covers, re71r's, and lots of seat time. I think I got a really good deal and moved to the right platform to start an STR autocross/track build as opposed to my AP1. I do miss the pure mechanical nature of the AP1 drivetrain and quicker steering rack though. Psyched on the color and more linear powerband. Will have a better idea of the change once I get it out to an autox. It isn't perfect but an 06+ LBP in decent condition with under 100k is easily worth 14k+ as far as I can tell. I am confident I could get that for this car easily once cleaned up. I'm keeping it though...
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
$12K
06 LBP, 88k miles
-Stock
-No accidents
-9/10 VIN stickers, Rear bumper missing VIN. I've had the rear bumper off, pretty clear that there have been no accidents. OEM bumper, I believe repainted original
-Dusty, dirty interior
-Virtually no maintenance records - Seemingly responsible owners, probably not driven hard but not true enthusiasts

It was really hard to give up my super clean 03 Ap1 with 110k miles for this car. I got $11k for the ap1 and bought this for $12k. I'm pretty happy with that and will be more enthused once I get the new one cleaned up. Maintenance is just about up to date since all fluids have been changed, axle nut tsb completed, valves adjusted. Will still need spark plugs, serpentine belt, air/cabin filters, TCT, detailing, seat covers, re71r's, and lots of seat time. I think I got a really good deal and moved to the right platform to start an STR autocross/track build as opposed to my AP1. I do miss the pure mechanical nature of the AP1 drivetrain and quicker steering rack though. Psyched on the color and more linear powerband. Will have a better idea of the change once I get it out to an autox. It isn't perfect but an 06+ LBP in decent condition with under 100k is easily worth 14k+ as far as I can tell. I am confident I could get that for this car easily once cleaned up. I'm keeping it though...

I hate you
Old 06-20-2018, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jub
$12K
06 LBP, 88k miles
-Stock
-No accidents
-Dusty, dirty interior

That honestly seems like a scam, you ran a carfax and autocheck?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
That honestly seems like a scam, you ran a carfax and autocheck?
So I thought the same thing when I saw the ad and was not really looking to buy. I was just scanning craigslist as I do and saw it asking 13,500. The ad was not very descriptive at only 2 lines. I called to scope it out and talked to the guy. He had just retired and started living on his boat so was selling the car. I drove my ap1 to take a look and made the deal for 12k. I think that he wanted it gone with minimal buyer bs and was happy to see how well I had taken care of my ap1.

I ran the carfax and it's clean, no autocheck. I worked a bit to try to expose what I think is my 10th VIN sticker under some paint on the rear bumper. I have been skeptical of the thing since I got it but it feels solid, especially after a good alignment. Everything feels tight and pretty much just needs some detailing out and maybe some touch ups in a few spots.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Went an looked at an '02 Suzuka Blue on Saturday and would like everyone's thought on the price. It's a one owner, bone stock right down to the stereo with a clean title, clean Carfax and all matching VIN's. It is very clean inside/out, has a brand new top and 92k on it. The guy is asking $16,500. From what I've seen it seems a little bit high but given the prices in the pacific northwest and the clean, stock one owner nature of the car it might not be too out of line. I was thinking more in the $15k range but let me know what you guys think.

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3