S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys!
Was wondering if you guys think this car is worth looking at/purchasing?
He's the 2nd owner and bought it with 5000 miles. Said the original owner tried putting a turbo so he put the Mishimoto radiator on there but could not get it to work. When he bought it, he took it to the honda dealership to fix it. Also said the original owner put a 06 ECU in and eventually wasn't compatible. He spent $2k to get it fixed and he said its been running perfectly fine since. If the carfax check out, do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm also looking to get a PPI and compression test done. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.cargurus....sting=120227195
Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Is that a replaced motor ? Wondering why it says 041 on the air box
Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 AM

Dcup, Link no longer works...maybe car sold?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yaupon

Gonna go pick up the car later today. Went and checked out the car yesterday. Everything looked great cosmetically except a small tear in the soft top. He had all maintenance records and everything was on time. Clean carfax. All Vins matched. Test drove it and everything seemed to be running like it was brand new. I used the "what to look for when buying a used s2000" and everything seemed to check off. Got it for $18k.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by dcup
Originally Posted by Yaupon' timestamp='1438688823' post='23703195

Gonna go pick up the car later today. Went and checked out the car yesterday. Everything looked great cosmetically except a small tear in the soft top. He had all maintenance records and everything was on time. Clean carfax. All Vins matched. Test drove it and everything seemed to be running like it was brand new. I used the "what to look for when buying a used s2000" and everything seemed to check off. Got it for $18k.
Congrats on a very solid deal. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Still wondering why 041 was written on the airbox. Usually only junkyard motors have markings like that on it
Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM

Hi,
Can I get the boards opinion on this AP2?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5157272939.html

2005 S2000 GPW
117,600 miles
clean title, no reported accidents
5th owner, current owner has had the car for 2 years
soft top in good condition
no complete service records available
asking $16.5k

My initial thoughts are:
priced too high, IMHO ~15% or about $14k - not sure if that would be considered low balling, especially if negotiating would need to start lower than this to land at $14k
too many owners, rough history> first owner had the car for 7k miles and 2 years, second 54k and 3 years, third 32k and 2 years, fourth 7k and 9 months, fifth 17k and 2 years
higher mileage than I would normally be comfortable with
clean GPW's seem hard to come by and do command a premium vs other more common colors

thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was the seller I would not be taking low offers right now especially if it's really only been listed for a day. Knowing it's a rare color combo and desirable I would play the market for a bit.

You have to decide what the most you would pay is and what your alternatives are. If you can also wait then don't give in to paying anymore than you want to pay. If that price is $14k then So be it. If you'd be willing to pay a bit more keep that in the back pocket.

Originally Posted by auto-drive
Hi,
Can I get the boards opinion on this AP2?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5157272939.html

2005 S2000 GPW
117,600 miles
clean title, no reported accidents
5th owner, current owner has had the car for 2 years
soft top in good condition
no complete service records available
asking $16.5k

My initial thoughts are:
priced too high, IMHO ~15% or about $14k - not sure if that would be considered low balling, especially if negotiating would need to start lower than this to land at $14k
too many owners, rough history> first owner had the car for 7k miles and 2 years, second 54k and 3 years, third 32k and 2 years, fourth 7k and 9 months, fifth 17k and 2 years
higher mileage than I would normally be comfortable with
clean GPW's seem hard to come by and do command a premium vs other more common colors

thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Hey,

New to the forum and S2K's, but not new to Hondas. Have owned an ITR since 2001.

This is the deal I am considering from a friend of mine.

2004 Black Ap2
89,000 miles
$11,000

Five owner car and was traded into dealer twice
California car all its life

Mods:

-AP2 V2 wheels and newish tires
-Seibon CF Mugen top (faded and needs paint)
-Alpine Head Unit
-Bilstein PSS9 (going to swap out for something more track oriented)
-APR lip (needs paint)
-C/R yellow stitch steering wheel outer ring (still has stock 2004 airbag section)
-Original two post wing
-No original wheels, head unit, or suspension.
-Car had a clifford alarm with remote start at some point in it's life, but my friend who owns the car was not aware of that and has no documentation of it, alarm remote or anything else. Basically there might be some hacks in the wiring that I can't see until I dig in.

Problems:

-Leakdown test failed
Cyl 1 20%
Cyl 2 15%
Cyl 3 34%
Cyl 4 PASS

Condition Notes:

-Soft Top in good condition
-Paint quality is 6/10 lots of chips, scratches etc no dents
-Cracked passenger rear taillight
-Front bumper has seen better days
-Clutch Buzz (not planning to fix until necessary)
-Car was slammed at some point, fender liners are trashed, fenders rolled, frame has surface rust where the liners wore through
-Interior overall just needs a cleaning
-2nd gear is notchy when cold
-low/lumpy idle randomly (probably the leakdown issue)
-Fuel hardlines underneath the car were damaged at some point and there is some ghetto fix currently on the car. Would probably replace OEM hardlines and plastic guard if I buy the car.
-Windshield has two dime sized cracks

My major concern is that I don't know 100% what the cause of the leakdown failure is. Likely, it's burned or chipped valves and the head will need to come off and get the valves replaced ($1500-$2000). If this is the case, then I end up with a pretty good S2K for $13,000.

If the damage is more severe and other things need replacing in the block for example, then I end up with not such a good deal so this is a risky purchase.

Let me know what you think.

-Ken
Old 08-11-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostHog
Hey,

New to the forum and S2K's, but not new to Hondas. Have owned an ITR since 2001.

This is the deal I am considering from a friend of mine.

2004 Black Ap2
89,000 miles
$11,000

Five owner car and was traded into dealer twice
California car all its life

Mods:

-AP2 V2 wheels and newish tires
-Seibon CF Mugen top (faded and needs paint)
-Alpine Head Unit
-Bilstein PSS9 (going to swap out for something more track oriented)
-APR lip (needs paint)
-C/R yellow stitch steering wheel outer ring (still has stock 2004 airbag section)
-Original two post wing
-No original wheels, head unit, or suspension.
-Car had a clifford alarm with remote start at some point in it's life, but my friend who owns the car was not aware of that and has no documentation of it, alarm remote or anything else. Basically there might be some hacks in the wiring that I can't see until I dig in.

Problems:

-Leakdown test failed
Cyl 1 20%
Cyl 2 15%
Cyl 3 34%
Cyl 4 PASS

Condition Notes:

-Soft Top in good condition
-Paint quality is 6/10 lots of chips, scratches etc no dents
-Cracked passenger rear taillight
-Front bumper has seen better days
-Clutch Buzz (not planning to fix until necessary)
-Car was slammed at some point, fender liners are trashed, fenders rolled, frame has surface rust where the liners wore through
-Interior overall just needs a cleaning
-2nd gear is notchy when cold
-low/lumpy idle randomly (probably the leakdown issue)
-Fuel hardlines underneath the car were damaged at some point and there is some ghetto fix currently on the car. Would probably replace OEM hardlines and plastic guard if I buy the car.
-Windshield has two dime sized cracks

My major concern is that I don't know 100% what the cause of the leakdown failure is. Likely, it's burned or chipped valves and the head will need to come off and get the valves replaced ($1500-$2000). If this is the case, then I end up with a pretty good S2K for $13,000.

If the damage is more severe and other things need replacing in the block for example, then I end up with not such a good deal so this is a risky purchase.

Let me know what you think.

-Ken
Sounds like you plan to gut it and turn it into a track car. 11k seems pretty high to me given the condition and history - more like 5-7k. I salute you for even considering taking this on and giving the car another life! Maybe in my younger days....

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3