S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 10-11-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by xproteK
What is this car worth?

Price listed for $16,000.

2006 Berlina Black, 151k miles. New motor with new OEM short block, all OEM parts (with receipts, only 270 miles on new motor) Body is an 7/10, interior is a 7/10 (a small tear in both seats). New motor mounts, brakes, tires, new clutch. Basically all stock. Soft top is decent condition, no rips.

Ran a carfax, shows 2 previous owners who owned the car for 5 and 6 years respectively, 1 minor accident reported that required radiator to be replaced. CarFax value is right around $12,500 and KBB is $12,600.

I figure since it has a brand new motor it may be worth paying more for.
Terribly overpriced to me, having a new motor to me doesn't add value. If anything, it's an indication that something catastrophic has happened to the car. Also, if it gets to the point where an engine needs to be replaced (especially if it was out of necessity), it clues you into how well maintained this car was under this particular owner.

Damn near $13,000, motor replaced, it's had a front end collision, and the paint and interior is only 7/10. Pass.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I'm sorry, maybe my mindset is a bit more conservative than others, but my future S2000 will merely be a toy. There's no way I'll spend new car money on it.
Totally agree. I would be driving it as intended and in no way keeping it as a museum piece. A clean example is still appreciated though.

Originally Posted by cenix
I know which car you are referring to. Owner is banking on the color combo (which is very desirable) for someone to pay the asking price, but rear bumper damage was not merely a small scuff. I'd pay that asking price if it was a 2008 or 2009 with 20k miles and clean body panels, but no way for that one.
Oh wow, small world. I went to take a look and while it's more than a scuff - more like a shallow fist-sized dent - it's not toooooo bad.

Originally Posted by datadr
@reversible That's definitely high. If all 10 VINs are in tact and there's no modifications, it could fetch as high as 25K, but 23-24K would be typical market. If they won't come down, there's others out there, you may just have to wait for the right one.
That's fine since I'm used to waiting anyway. I've been looking for a GPW about 4 years now so passing another one by would be no sweat. (Of course, finally getting my butt in one would be nice too)

I went to see it for myself on Monday and verified that all 10 VINs are present, and the car itself looks pretty well kept for being a decade old. There are some minor scratches here and there but overall there's still a definite newness about it, almost like certified pre-owned that hasn't been detailed. Seller just came back with $25.5 firm; close enough to consider or let it sit/play hardball?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by reversible
I'm used to waiting anyway. I've been looking for a GPW about 4 years now so passing another one by would be no sweat. (Of course, finally getting my butt in one would be nice too)

I went to see it for myself on Monday and verified that all 10 VINs are present, and the car itself looks pretty well kept for being a decade old. There are some minor scratches here and there but overall there's still a definite newness about it, almost like certified pre-owned that hasn't been detailed. Seller just came back with $25.5 firm; close enough to consider or let it sit/play hardball?
To me, that sounds really high for what you would be getting based on how you've described the car. But if you've been looking specifically for this particular year model/color combo then it might be worth more to you than it would be to me or the next guy. For as long as you've been looking for one of these cars I'd imagine that you would have a better idea of what these are going for in your area than I would.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a S2000 I'm interested in around the SF bay area.

2006 LBP
75k miles
Clean title, one owner
Listed for 19,250$ at a Honda dealer.

Pricing seems higher than average but it's CA.

What do you think?

https://www.hondaelcerrito.com/used/...05f1e8762a.htm
Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Y4NG
Found a S2000 I'm interested in around the SF bay area.

2006 LBP
75k miles
Clean title, one owner
Listed for 19,250$ at a Honda dealer.

Pricing seems higher than average but it's CA.

What do you think?

https://www.hondaelcerrito.com/used/...05f1e8762a.htm

I was actually going to spring on this one until i found the Suzuka Blue with 20k less miles for the same price in San Jose. Honestly i think the price is good for our area. Maybe a tad over by 1-2k at the absolute most however i think they might be willing to negotiate since its not a DGDG(i dont think).Being in CA where we get top down weather almost every single month of the year (hell my friend rides top down in his new MX-5 ND when its 40 degrees out) these cars will naturally sell for more. Especially since many dealers know how good of a track car these are and we have some of the best tracks all within a 3 hour driving radius of the Bay Area. A big part of me wished i could have got the Laguna Blue but the lower mileage was a higher priority since this is going to be my daily for a few years.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah pricing seems a little on the higher side considering the mileage but it is also in the bay so I can understand the price. Maybe if it's still available in a month I'll check it out. LBP is just too nice of a color to pass up.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Y4NG
Yeah pricing seems a little on the higher side considering the mileage but it is also in the bay so I can understand the price. Maybe if it's still available in a month I'll check it out. LBP is just too nice of a color to pass up.
There is the silver 2004 in San Leandro with only 83000 miles selling for 16k. Car looks super clean. Seller might even be on here.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...786942323.html
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

found 84k 2005 ap2v1 silver. owner states parked in 2013 (wut) with the damage and never repair, ran monthly since. hit by a taxi, no insurance. Asking 10k. I am getting new photos tomorrow. Looks to be bumper, front crash support, headlight, headlight support, fender and liner.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3-fxpyfzw.jpg
Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much do you think this S2000 is worth, 2001 with 214k miles.

Link to craigslist Ad
Old 01-07-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Grip Hrd
How much do you think this S2000 is worth, 2001 with 214k miles.

Link to craigslist Ad
I'd say it is about $1500 too high. It's a nice car but the top will need a refresh. Credit for good maintenance but I still think it is a bit overpriced and will require some refurbishing.

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3