S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top

Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Toneezy
Is physically cutting the top as shown in the first step required? I want to remove my soft top assembly to reduce weight as I no longer use my soft top. However keeping it intact for future use or for resale seems like something I would like to do.

Obviously I understand cutting the top makes sense as its easier to remove the setup if you are replacing it with a new top, but I just want to remove it for weight reduction purposes as I no longer use it.
Cutting it just makes it easier to access some of the things that need to be removed. It can be done without cutting anything.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I'm going to attempt to remove the soft top today actually. To all you guys that removed the softop assembly, is there a huge increase in road noise for whatever reason?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm doing a plastic to glass soft top conversion.
Everything went fine untill I stumbled upon the "hooks" shown in the pictures.
They are razor sharp and pinch straight trough the canvas when I put it on.

Is this normal? Do I have to fold the canvas over it?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom87
Hi guys, I'm doing a plastic to glass soft top conversion.
Everything went fine untill I stumbled upon the "hooks" shown in the pictures.
They are razor sharp and pinch straight trough the canvas when I put it on.

Is this normal? Do I have to fold the canvas over it?
Yes, that's pretty normal. The hooks should fit into the corner of the little pockets that there on the sides of the top. They should fit in the very corner where the edging material is and not on a flat spot.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Anyone know why the new top requires the 3rd bow to be inside of the velcro sleeve instead of outside. Is it a difference of an OEM vs aftermarket top? I recall my 3rd bar to be outside the sleeve and now based on this post and the pdf version it shows the 3rd bar inside the sleeve.

How I remember my top rear bow setup
Name:  a6989300.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  57.7 KB
Recommended rear bow setup
Name:  7071c65f.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  55.7 KB
This is a pic from the PDF link of the rear bow
Name:  5d5f4738.png
Views: 366
Size:  94.0 KB
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of difficulty with my soft-top install.

I'm having this issue where it wont even out. But I think it has to do with the fact that I couldn't get the speed rivets on those to corners in the back where the new elastic strap goes, the material was too think and they wouldn't stay together. So when I get home from work, I'm gona undo the bolt in that area and see about trying to get the speed rivets to stay.

Here are some extra pictures, I ended up back tracking a bit, so thats why some of the top is undone...

When I had it all together I couldn't get the top to shut... I live in Alaska, so my garage temp right now is sitting around 70 right now. When I get home, I'm going to toss some heaters in the garage and try to get it around 90 and also see about raising the humidity as well.

If anyone has any suggests, I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks guys, love the thread!

So I got my top back on the car and everything looks good, only problem is when I hit the switch, NOTHING!

I know the soft top has two safety's that must be engaged:

a) Parking brake must be on (my dash has the red light for the parking light on confirmed)

b) Car cannot be moving

So my question is if both the above (a) and (b) conditions are satisfied what else could it be? I checked all the fuses.

I did notice that my window's won't roll down when I try to put the soft top down....any ideas?

Is there any wiring behind the radio or other place I need to consider looking?

TIA!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i know there is a plug/clip under the center console cup holders, one time i forgot to plug it back in and freaked out i messed up my soft top.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to take the time to quickly thank everyone that has contributed to this thread with helpful information and feedback (you all know who you are). I just put my order in with Seta over at Topsonline.com who was very friendly and helpful (and gave me free shipping for being from s2ki). In the end, I made the choice to go with them because while there are some cheaper options available for canvass tops, I liked that Robbins has a 6 year warranty, uses quality Haartz material, and is well known to make quality products. The money I'll save installing it with a buddy should be worth it in the end and I hope to update you guys on how things go.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Nice DIY. Also there is a recall on ap1 tops within. A certain vin numbers I was at work on day dicking around on the shop comp and decided to look up recalls for my s found one for the top which I cracked dropping it in re winter. And a seat belt sagging recall as well

Quick Reply: Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top