S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Switch module

Old 12-01-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ItalianBucwheat
On 2002 models the hardtop defrost switch is mounted to the right of the steering wheel on the dash. Same type switch as the cruise control button which is to the left of the steering
wheel on the dash. BE careful with installing anything that is not flush in the slot. If anything sticks out of the slot even a small amount it is very annoying for the elbow area of the shift arm.
Couple of questions:

(1) If the defrost button for 02 hardtops is just the normal 02 softtop defrost button, why did the picts from C&D mag have the console button?

(2) Also, if the defrost button for 02 hardtops is the normal 02 softtop defrost button, is the softtop's defrost disconnected for hardtop install (otherwise the softop would defrost at the same time)?

(3) As an aside, how long is 02 hardtop install? After install, how long does it normally take to remove/put on the hardtop?
Old 12-01-2002, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Aus S's already have the panel with a blank and a momentary switch for the headlight washers. Most of us pull the fuse on the headlight washers because they are a real pain and often activated my mistake.

The momentary switch would be perfect for the garage door opener. But I'd also like to get ahold of the defrost button. Haven't thought of a use (driving lights? Radar detector/jammer?) but I really hate blanks.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by staffordaz
[B]

Couple of questions:

(1) If the defrost button for 02 hardtops is just the normal 02 softtop defrost button, why did the picts from C&D mag have the console button?

(2) Also, if the defrost button for 02 hardtops is the normal 02 softtop defrost button, is the softtop's defrost disconnected for hardtop install (otherwise the softop would defrost at the same time)?

(3) As an aside, how long is 02 hardtop install?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

We need someone with an glass rear window AND a hardtop to come forward to explain these things for certain.
I think that in these cars, when the hardtop is installed and the rear defrost is hooked up, a diverter switch must be utilized so that the same defrost switch activates the hardtop defrost and NOT the one in the soft top. This would be like when the hardtop is on, a defeat switch is pushed so the soft top motors no longer function. All non-glass rear windowed soft top cars have the hardtop defrost switch on the console.
As for the install, I don't think the '02 hardtop is much different from any other year in terms of length. I did my '00 in less than 3 hours on my own but I've heard of dealers spending as much as 6-8 hrs doing their first one so ask if they've done one before. Once installed, it's only 4 latches and 1 defrost harness to undo and with the help of another person or a hoist, it only takes a couple of minutes. The hard part is where to put it and where to store it when it's not on the car.

ralper, I've always been really confused about this "kit" that everyone talks about. I have an '00 with VIN ending in the 7 hundreds. I've always been told that I needed an extra kit. I did not order such a kit nor did I pay extra for one. When the hardtop came, everything I needed was packed with it. My car was even pre-wired for the hardtop defroster. All I had to do was install the switch, put in the fuse panel relay and run the wire bundle from the switch to the back where the top's defrost plugged in.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:44 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Xviper

You may be right. I was told by my local Honda dealer that there was an extra kit to hook up the hard top rear defroster. Maybe they were trying to take me on a sure shot. I thought that I had also read about this in one of the hardtop threads.

I'd certainly defer to you, you know more about this then I do or ever will, and your experience with the hardtop is completely different then what I've heard. I generally look to you for guidence concerning the car.

Maybe someone who has a MY2002 and had a hardtop installed afterwards can answer the question.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both hard top and glass window. There is only one switch. when the hard top is installed, there is a cord behind the drivers seatbelt that plugs into a cord on the hard top. when this is plugged in and the defrost is turned on, it cuts off the defrost to the soft top, so only one (hard top or soft top) defrost can work at a time.

I hope this answers the question!

Even on one without a hard top, there will be a plug in place of that hole where the cord is, just incase of future hard top install.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 28 2002, 10:17 AM
I don't know if it is possible but you could try going to your Honda parts guy and tell him to see if a replacement module can be ordered. I mean, what would happen if this module were to get damaged. They'd have to be able to replace it, wouldn't they?
Sorry, no pics.
However, page 2 of the HandA hardtop instructions show a drawing of it:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2ktopa.pdf
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why do the instructions call for an entire console replacement? Why couldn't they just include the dual switch holder and instruct to replace the coin holder? Seems like they are replacing the console for no good reason, unless I'm missing something.

The reason I'm asking is... I have an 03 S2000 and want to install that defrost switch to use to toggle the Euro fog lamp that I'm going to install. And I'm wondering if I have to get a whole new console just for this. I'm hoping I'll just need the dual switch holder, defroster switch, and the knockout cover.

Thanks.