S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch FLuid Bleed Problem :/

Old 11-13-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch FLuid Bleed Problem :/

Hi, I'm doing my 2nd clutch fluid change since i felt like i did the first one wrong since der was alot of play at the top of the peddle.

Anyways im doing the bleed according to the DIY instructions and fluid has been coming out but after the 6th pump, no fluid is coming out

the reservoir if full... I have done the step of opening valve, push down peddle, close bleed, pull peddle up several times and still no fluid

the peddle has no force to it when i push it down
am i doing something wrong?

Ive done some searches but i havent found a similiar problem like mine
thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 PM

Some clutch pedel free play is normal. It keeps your throwout bearing from riding the pressure plate when the clutch in engaged. As for the for the fluid not coming out.. Maybee you have a internal leak in the master or slave cylinder or a pocket of air? Or maybee you can get a vacuum hand pump on the slave cylinder or a pressure bleeder on it to assist in bleeding the system.

EDIT: try checking the base of the reservoir and make sure theres no crud blocking the ports that feed the master cylinder.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:31 PM

Yeah i had a bleeder assistant for awhile now and im having the same effect, but if it is an internal leak in the master to cylinder, am i stuck here in my garage untill i can find someone to help with this issue

since ders no force on the peddle, possible to even drive it hehe?

hmm crud could be it, let me try it out thx for the response
Old 11-13-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remove the slave cylinder and tilt it so all the air comes out the top of the valve. Sounds like you have a large pocket of air trapped in the system. Two person job.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Not long ago I've done the same, but I used gravity (thanks to Billman ) only.
I did remove the slave from the transmission so you can put the bleeder valve completely on top and pushed the piston as far back as it goes to make sure all the "old" fluid went out the bleeder.
The slave piston is also spring loaded so it will push itself outwards again, make sure the bleeder valve is closed when you let the piston go outwards so you are sucking in fresh fluid and not air.

Keeping the reservoir full is very important.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to pump the clutch vigorously to get the air through the line. Don't bother with the bleeder steps until you've pumped the pedal at LEAST 10 times fast.

Crack the bleeder, close the bleeder, pump vigorously another 10 times.

Once you start feeling pressure in the pedal..............THEN you can start the single, open.....push pedal down,.........close..........pull pedal up.

You will be there FOREVER if you try to do the bleeder steps when there is a huge pocket of air in the line.

Tim
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 14 2006, 07:53 AM
Not long ago I've done the same, but I used gravity (thanks to Billman ) only.
I did remove the slave from the transmission so you can put the bleeder valve completely on top and pushed the piston as far back as it goes to make sure all the "old" fluid went out the bleeder.
The slave piston is also spring loaded so it will push itself outwards again, make sure the bleeder valve is closed when you let the piston go outwards so you are sucking in fresh fluid and not air.

Keeping the reservoir full is very important.

I had the same problem and Billman helped me out with the gravity bleed technique as well. I must have tried for 2 hours to get the darn thing to bleed before that. I also removed the slave cylinder and positioned the bleeder straight up. Within minutes, the clutch felt perfect.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 AM

Maybe this would be a good job for a vacuum bleeder (mightyvac)? Just keep sucking the fluid out until the large bubble is gone. Then bleed it like you normally would. They are not that expensive either.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by fallenkings,Nov 13 2006, 04:09 PM
am i doing something wrong?