S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Light On Briefly During Startup - Problem?

Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spets
IMO it is on a little bit longer than it should be with a warm engine.

Even the start rev spike doesn't produce enough pressure to open the switch.
But what can you do?
Filter is OEM.
Maybe it IS the switch.
No matter what oil you use, even 15W-50 , close to operating temp all oils are thin enough to flow fast right after, or better, during starting.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by spets' timestamp='1340946715' post='21820710
IMO it is on a little bit longer than it should be with a warm engine.

Even the start rev spike doesn't produce enough pressure to open the switch.
But what can you do?
Filter is OEM.
Maybe it IS the switch.
No matter what oil you use, even 15W-50 , close to operating temp all oils are thin enough to flow fast right after, or better, during starting.

SpitFireS - you lost me just a little bit . When you say it might be the switch, do you mean the anti drain back valve?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by climhazzard
SpitFireS - you lost me just a little bit . When you say it might be the switch, do you mean the anti drain back valve?
No, not the anti drain back valve.
That valve - a check valve / one-way valve - prevents the hot and thin oil to drain out of the oil filter after engine shut-down.
So the filter does not have to be filled at a start.
I should have been more clear.
Good thing about the anti drain back valve is: you get a new one every time you replace the filter

There is an oil pressure switch (sensor) right above the oil filter, there is one (IIRC black) wire connected to it.
As soon as there is enough oil pressure the contacts open and the light in the dash goes off.
I do not know the pressure it takes to open the contacts, IIRC it was mentioned some time ago.
In any case it is not a lot.

So.. in your case, does it actually takes a little longer to build-up the oil pressure?
OR
Does your oil pressure switch (sensor) open at a slightly higher pressure?
The thing with sensors is always "it is one or the other"

I don't know.

Did you notice a change in how long it takes for the light to go off?
What is the part # of the OEM filter you use?
What oil do you use - just to get it out of the way - it should not matter when warm.

I've seen the oil pressure warning light - or idiot llight - stay on even longer than in your video in my car.
But only right after an oil change without filling the new oil filter with oil before putting it on.
It was sorta nerve wrecking to see this light on for seconds!
Now, the light allready goes off during a warm start or slightly after.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by climhazzard' timestamp='1341065486' post='21824228
No, not the anti drain back valve.
That valve - a check valve / one-way valve - prevents the hot and thin oil to drain out of the oil filter after engine shut-down.
So the filter does not have to be filled at a start.
I should have been more clear.
Good thing about the anti drain back valve is: you get a new one every time you replace the filter

There is an oil pressure switch (sensor) right above the oil filter, there is one (IIRC black) wire connected to it.
As soon as there is enough oil pressure the contacts open and the light in the dash goes off.
I do not know the pressure it takes to open the contacts, IIRC it was mentioned some time ago.
In any case it is not a lot.

So.. in your case, does it actually takes a little longer to build-up the oil pressure?
OR
Does your oil pressure switch (sensor) open at a slightly higher pressure?
The thing with sensors is always "it is one or the other"

I don't know.

Did you notice a change in how long it takes for the light to go off?
What is the part # of the OEM filter you use?
What oil do you use - just to get it out of the way - it should not matter when warm.

I've seen the oil pressure warning light - or idiot llight - stay on even longer than in your video in my car.
But only right after an oil change without filling the new oil filter with oil before putting it on.
It was sorta nerve wrecking to see this light on for seconds!
Now, the light allready goes off during a warm start or slightly after.

Gotcha - that all makes perfect sense. I'm using 15400-PCX-004, the Filtech OEM filter, and Mobil 1 10W-30. I know not everyone on here likes Mobil 1, but I've never burned a drop - then again I only put about 1000 miles a year on the car . I've shown this to a friend who is also an experienced mechanic and he said it's normal. I'll probably change the oil today just because I'm 10 months into the annual oil change and it couldn't hurt.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Just in case anyone is interested in a small update...I've changed the oil with a fresh OEM filter and Mobil 1 10W-30. The old filter seemed fine..plenty of oil came out when I removed it which leads me to believe the ADBV was working properly, but who knows. I drove the car around for a bit, parked it then fired it up an hour and a half later to see how long the oil light stays on. Seems a bit shorter to me from the video, but a bit hard to tell. Either way I'm leaving this alone for now unless something happens beyond during startup .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVp84THabM[/media]
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I noticed my light comes on and stays on longer after switching to castrol 0w 30 euro formula......had castrol edge 5w30 before.....not as long as yours but nonetheless, longer than before. Using oem filter as well
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by climhazzard
Just in case anyone is interested in a small update...I've changed the oil with a fresh OEM filter and Mobil 1 10W-30. The old filter seemed fine..plenty of oil came out when I removed it which leads me to believe the ADBV was working properly, but who knows. I drove the car around for a bit, parked it then fired it up an hour and a half later to see how long the oil light stays on. Seems a bit shorter to me from the video, but a bit hard to tell. Either way I'm leaving this alone for now unless something happens beyond during startup .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVp84THabM[/media]
That definitely looks normal. Should be good.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I noticed my light comes on and stays on longer after switching to castrol 0w 30 euro formula......had castrol edge 5w30 before.....not as long as yours but nonetheless, longer than before. Using oem filter as well
Castrol 0w30 is known for being a thick 30 weight oil, almost on the cusp of being a thin 40 weight, and definitely thicker than Edge 5w30. I would say any slight differences could be attributed to the viscosity of the oil.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM

I've been watching my oil light for a couple of days now.
And it is off at the peak of the start-up-rev-peak.
Sometimes a little before, but never after.
Hot, after +/- 30 mins of driving or cold.
YMMV