S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve cover removal, oil drips onto header?

Old 08-27-2022, 04:56 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Valve cover removal, oil drips onto header?

Background: I did AP2 valve spring retainers/keepers and a valve adjustment on my AP1. And it runs!!! I didn't blow up the engine. But...

Is it normal to leak oil onto the header when removing the valve cover? How should I clean it before starting the car?

I took it for a test drive and smelled oil burning. With the car running, there's a little smoke coming from the back of the engine. I figured some dripped when I took everything apart. Drove it more, still smoking. Drove it more, still smoking... I probably drove it for a total of 30 minutes. Pulled the valve cover thinking I ripped the new gasket. Nope, it looks perfect. Then I looked at the head and noticed a pool of oil dripping down the side. I guess I didn't notice that when I took everything apart the first time.

Is this normal? How can I avoid it to ease my paranoia that I installed the valve cover wrong and ripped the gasket??

Old 08-28-2022, 05:39 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Not normal to drip that much during this service. A little, yeah, but not a pool.

Easiest way to clean it a good engine cleaner spray, then garden hose. Only do this once its all sealed back up of course.

Brake cleaner is the best degreaser, but it can remove coatings and damage plastic and rubber. It'd work great to clean off the stainless steel header itself, just be careful not to get any on anything else. Jist spray and let ot drip and evaporate. If its thick oil, spray then sop up with paper towel.

As for the leak maybe gasket isn't sitting flat on cover. Lay cover down on a flat surface, placing a bright flashlight inside. See if you can see light coming from that corner.

Also make sure the head surface in that corner isn't scratched up or something. Clean it off well inspect.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:44 AM

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, it is normal that a little bit of oil leaks onto the header when you have removed the valve cover. Thats a funny design feature of the S2000. At least i discoverd it on mine too.
To get rid of the oil on the header, just spray it away with brake cleaner. Spray it on a cold header, of course.
Atfer a test drive, you should easily detect a leaking vale cover gasket.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the tips. I put it back together, sprayed the header with engine degreaser. Waited, then rinsed it all off with water.

I still got a little smoke after driving the car (keep in mind I had two valve-cover-removal's worth that dripped) but eventually it stopped and I'm pretty sure I installed the valve cover correctly. I also cleaned up the head quite a bit better than before. So it wasn't a total waste of time.

So if anyone finds this thread in the future, YES, when you remove your valve cover oil will drip onto the header. And a little oil makes a lot of smoke...
Old 08-28-2022, 02:46 PM

Received 341 Likes on 278 Posts

OP- your "save the manual wagons!" is the best!

3 pedal 2016 Subaru Outback here!

darcy
Old 08-28-2022, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
OP- your "save the manual wagons!" is the best!

3 pedal 2016 Subaru Outback here!
Thanks, and nice!! I've had 3 manual Subaru wagons and loved them all. Currently, my other car is a Mazda6 wagon (oops, I think it's in my signature...)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Save the Manual Wagons!
Background: I did AP2 valve spring retainers/keepers and a valve adjustment on my AP1. And it runs!!! I didn't blow up the engine. But...

Is it normal to leak oil onto the header when removing the valve cover? How should I clean it before starting the car?

I took it for a test drive and smelled oil burning. With the car running, there's a little smoke coming from the back of the engine. I figured some dripped when I took everything apart. Drove it more, still smoking. Drove it more, still smoking... I probably drove it for a total of 30 minutes. Pulled the valve cover thinking I ripped the new gasket. Nope, it looks perfect. Then I looked at the head and noticed a pool of oil dripping down the side. I guess I didn't notice that when I took everything apart the first time.

Is this normal? How can I avoid it to ease my paranoia that I installed the valve cover wrong and ripped the gasket??

the slight tilt/angle of the engine causes the oil to pool there, and will slowly drip down to the header. it's normal - just wipe off as much as you can after putting the VC back on. will be much easier if you don't have a header heat shield.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:51 AM

Received 188 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Yes, it is normal that a little bit of oil leaks onto the header when you have removed the valve cover. Thats a funny design feature of the S2000. At least i discoverd it on mine too.
To get rid of the oil on the header, just spray it away with brake cleaner. Spray it on a cold header, of course.
Atfer a test drive, you should easily detect a leaking vale cover gasket.
The engine is angled/slanted so oil would gravitate to that side and drip down to the header
After a few minutes the oil should burn off since the header gets so hot so quickly. If the leak persists then there's a valve cover gasket leak