S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Old 10-21-2023, 04:45 PM

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Meatloaf is very easy to make. I use bison.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:52 PM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Meatloaf is very easy to make. I use bison.
I heard some people put onion soup mix into their meatloaf , do you do that ?
Old 10-21-2023, 05:09 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

No but I clear the onions before I add them. My binder is Quaker Oats and a touch of Dukes Mayo. A little garlic powder, eggs and Heinz ketchup. Smoked to 160 IT and rested.
Easy to make . You wouldn't mind sharing your pasta secrets would you?
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (10-22-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
No but I clear the onions before I add them. My binder is Quaker Oats and a touch of Dukes Mayo. A little garlic powder, eggs and Heinz ketchup. Smoked to 160 IT and rested.
Easy to make . You wouldn't mind sharing your pasta secrets would you?
Thanks Grant, that sounds really good, we are meatloaf newbies and we want to make our first one this fall, thanks for the info.

I will share my pasta secrets yes, the one thing with me is that I never measure anything, it is all done by appearance and taste, I will post up how it is done this weekend as I make it - seafood pasta.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:14 PM

Received 5,090 Likes on 3,068 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Meatloaf is very easy to make.
Funny we had meatloaf and mash potatoes as the special at a club we went to last night. Deb I'm sure your's or Grant's would be much better but we didn't get invited.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:25 PM

Received 3,865 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I heard some people put onion soup mix into their meatloaf , do you do that ?
I think my Dad does it that way. I’m a big fan of homemade meatloaf my Dad always makes it when he comes and stays with me. My sister makes it for me too she froze one last year and brought it with her when she came up from Florida last winter!
zeroptzero (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by robb
I think my Dad does it that way. I’m a big fan of homemade meatloaf my Dad always makes it when he comes and stays with me. My sister makes it for me too she froze one last year and brought it with her when she came up from Florida last winter!
My sister used to add onion soup mix to her meatloaf, that is where I got the idea.. She made good meatloaf back in the day. God rest her soul.
robb (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 11:53 AM

Onion soup mix works. That's good, so does substituting instant potato flakes instead of oatmeal as a binder. There are lots of versions of meatloaf. Pulpeta (Cuban Meatloaf) is great too and it looks really good on a plate. There are lots of versions out there.
zeroptzero (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Thanks Grant, that sounds really good, we are meatloaf newbies and we want to make our first one this fall, thanks for the info.

I will share my pasta secrets yes, the one thing with me is that I never measure anything, it is all done by appearance and taste, I will post up how it is done this weekend as I make it - seafood pasta.
We finished lunch and everyone loved it. The pasta I used today was angel hair (capellini, or spaghettini). For seafood today I used some decent shrimp, grilled salmon, and pan seared scallops. I would have loved some clams but the only clams at market this week were from India ! I could not believe it, eeek. In the past I have used crab as well, whatever your fancy. I grilled the salmon on the barbecue ahead of time, and pan seared the scallops.

For my sauce I sweat down a good much of onions in olive oil, then add a good much of chopped garlic. Add black pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, and nutmeg, salt, touch of sugar, and parsley. You can add any other herb or spice you want. I toss in some butter, today I used a stick of it, from one of those butter packages with 4 sticks. I use 10% cream for a healthier sauce rather than 35% , but 35% does taste good. In the past I would also use some corn starch or flour to thicken it up when using less fat milk, you can change it up to meet your needs - less fat or more fat. I put in a good bit of olive oil as it cooks. I cook the sauce until it thickens up nicely and cooks down. Keep it from boiling for less separation. We had eight people here for lunch today, I made two packages of pasta, it was a bit too much, but better to have more than less. On each plate I put a good nest of pasta, along with 5-6 shrimp, 4 scallops and a good piece of salmon. I ladle on the sauce over all of the pasta and seafood, when I have crab meat I would put crab on top of the pile, if I have clams or mussels I will put them around the edge of the plate. We have grated parmesan cheese to put on top for those who like it. I love parsley and will top it off with some chopped parsley. You can also make the sauce with some white wine if you like, it is a pretty versatile recipe. My in-laws love it. I dont measure any of the ingredients, I cook it all to my taste and quantities needed.
robb (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 01:47 PM

Thanks I make something similar but I haven't ever use salmon or nutmeg. Good idea. We don't have salmon around here if it is it all come frozen and it's a long way from there to here. We can get fresh shellfish here and shrimp. Nutmeg interests me.

Quick Reply: Foods you love to cook and/or eat