UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Good idea or Terrible Idea

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said, timescale wise I am happy to wait around for a couple of months for the 'right' car for me. Indeed until I get rid of the 2 I can't even entertain the idea of getting one.

I am going to probably bribe someone from here with beer and or jaffa cakes to come and have a look at the car with me; I really don't want to buy a dog. Paul, that's a serious prang there. I'm amazed you were able to walk away from it, that's definitely made me feel a little better about my chances when in a crash.

I would, absolutely love a 7. It will happen over the next couple of years, but I don't think the time is right at the moment. I've read up on engine changes, and the abysmal MPG. It'll come as a toy in about a years time I would imagine. If it's reliable it could well be alongside the S2. Yeah, I do lurk on MRC, but as with all forums of that type they seem to do a lot to prevent non-owners from viewing the good stuff. I haven't tried FDUK.

One thing I did want to ask, is whether the import is a good idea. From what I've been reading I've seen that the import F20 appears to have a different head gasket and pistons which give it a bit more poke. Digging further it seems that for this to work you need to use some silly 100RON fuel, which we don't have. Is this just a short road to an engine that's going to die?

I'm hoping it's a nice jump from the 2, as it seems most people on here came from a turbo, whereas I am coming from an NA. I tend to do about 11k a year, but that was when I was dailying it. Could be less now, I'm not sure. I actually don't like the look of the MR unless it's moving quickly; it looks good when it's putting in work, but not so much stationary IMO. I did absolutely love the sensation of turning the key and hearing the engine noise from behind you though; I'll miss that.

It's interesting to see that you say buy with your eyes and do not base things on milage or age. I was literally looking for anything under 80k. The idea of having something north of 100k doesn't sit too well with me. Are they cars that hide their mileage well. My 2 is on 110k, and as stated I look at that as the benchmark reason for all the problems it is having.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe it's a truism that problems tend to occur around 100K; but that's again, more of a function of age rather than mileage.

It's more a case of not buying a 40K miler that's been through a hedge backwards, when there's a really straight 80K miler round the corner.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I believe it's a truism that problems tend to occur around 100K; but that's again, more of a function of age rather than mileage.

It's more a case of not buying a 40K miler that's been through a hedge backwards, when there's a really straight 80K miler round the corner.
You're probably right; I think the number varies across cars. I do want something that doesn't feel 'tired' though.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The doors rattle because the buffers have wound themselves in even on newish cars.

Generally, they don't tend to get 'tired' until big mileages - the suspension's too bloody hard to notice bumps!

I have 95K on the 'Lude and 74K on the NSX and only the 'Lude is beginning to feel its age a bit just recently. Mainly due to impending 5th gear crunch and a baggy clutch. It still out-handles everything on the road. The old Civic VTi did feel baggy in its suspension & steering at around 85K, so it's definitely price-related with Hondas.