UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What have they done!?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have they done!?

Had the car in the Honda garage a few weeks back to see if they could fix the roof seal on the passenger side.

Problem is it collects water when parked and when pulling away the water runs back into the cabin, quite a lot of water!

They took the seals off above the window, reseated them but also stuck them down with RTV? Silicone sealant.

The first shower after I got the car back, same problem arose.

Took the car straight back and they adjusted the window to make it tigher against the seal.

Fast forward to this morning. I get in the car to go to work and find the passenger seat is wet and there is water dripping from the frame above the window. If you can imagine the roof seal that sits on the passenger window closest to the front of the car. Inside the car you can see a metal bar (part of roof frame) above it, there is a small hole (approx 3mm dia) in said metal bar and there was water dripping out of it!

It's never done that before. I then pulled off and a fair bit of water came out the join in the two seals above the window and soaked the seat even further. I've never seen so much water come out before. I'd try and equate it to about half a can of coke.

On another note, the TCT they replaced about 6 months prior (3rd replacement) sounds like it's gone again. Car sounds like a tractor at idle

Trouble is, I go on holiday on Saturday taking the car round Europe
Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 AM

That is bad news and timing, can you get them to give you a courtesy S while they fix your car properly?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by russellhq,Jul 10 2008, 11:24 AM
Had the car in the Honda garage a few weeks back to see if they could fix the roof seal on the passenger side.

Problem is it collects water when parked and when pulling away the water runs back into the cabin, quite a lot of water!

They took the seals off above the window, reseated them but also stuck them down with RTV? Silicone sealant.

The first shower after I got the car back, same problem arose.

Took the car straight back and they adjusted the window to make it tigher against the seal.

Fast forward to this morning. I get in the car to go to work and find the passenger seat is wet and there is water dripping from the frame above the window. If you can imagine the roof seal that sits on the passenger window closest to the front of the car. Inside the car you can see a metal bar (part of roof frame) above it, there is a small hole (approx 3mm dia) in said metal bar and there was water dripping out of it!

It's never done that before. I then pulled off and a fair bit of water came out the join in the two seals above the window and soaked the seat even further. I've never seen so much water come out before. I'd try and equate it to about half a can of coke.

On another note, the TCT they replaced about 6 months prior (3rd replacement) sounds like it's gone again. Car sounds like a tractor at idle

Trouble is, I go on holiday on Saturday taking the car round Europe
If you're getting through that many TCTs i suspect you may have a stretched timing chain.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:25 AM

If it was the chain then wouldn't the noise still be persistant after fitting a new TCT?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 AM

If the chain has stretched and the TCT is on the limit of its travel, it will probably work for a limited period of time. Hence you regular replacements.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 10 2008, 01:02 PM
If the chain has stretched and the TCT is on the limit of its travel, it will probably work for a limited period of time. Hence you regular replacements.
Bugger.

How much will that cost to fix?

Engine has 56k miles on it, seems a little low for a timing chain to be replaced
Old 07-10-2008, 06:24 AM

I don't know is the simple answer for that.

I might be wrong on this, but the number of replacements you've had is unlikely to be down to a series of faulty tensioners. More likely that they're having to work right on the end of their range and there is a degree of tolerance in that range, hence some work for a while.

Some people have had some success changing the oil for a thicker oil which can quieten the noise.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that those people actually had little end wear which sounds very similar to a TCT failure.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 AM

Just to add another piece to the puzzle. If I flick the throttle while stationary then let the engine idle, the noise goes away for a few secs then intermittantly comes back over about a minute then it sounds constantly. All when idle. Over 2k rpm it's gone.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its a PITA the leaking roof, the dealers half the time dont know how to fix it and you might have to buy a new roof.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by russellhq,Jul 10 2008, 03:38 PM
Just to add another piece to the puzzle. If I flick the throttle while stationary then let the engine idle, the noise goes away for a few secs then intermittantly comes back over about a minute then it sounds constantly. All when idle. Over 2k rpm it's gone.
Hate to say this as it might be un-necessary scaremongering, but this sounds exactly like what i had from my engine. The engine had done 19k miles from new and had a rattle that would appear when the engine was warm and sat idling for a minute or two. Touching the accelerator would stop the rattle.

Turned out that a faulty oil pump had killed the little end bearings and when oil pressure was at its lowest (hot oil, engine at idle) they rattled.

I needed a new engine, thankfully under warranty.