NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

Cycling thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc
Originally Posted by freq' timestamp='1459086560' post='23920369
Yeah, 29s are everywhere, great for going over obstacles while off-road. Not my thing though. I do mostly rail-trail and street for my commute / exercise.

Fat tires = mud, snow and sand, anything else is just dumb IMHO.

If you have the room, keep your Epic and find something used on CL.

I still have a 20" and a 24" BMX from my youth, circa 1985.
Yeah space right now is the problem. I think I am going to try to rebuild my bike. After looking at the components that come with these lower end bikes, mine are still pretty good. Bike just needs a big time degrease, clean and relube.

Do you tune up your bike yourself or do you take it to the shop. What do you use?
DIY and use YouTube when I'm unsure, mostly how to adjust my derailleurs.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yeah derailleurs can be such a pain. Adjust them one minute, ride for an hour and back to adjust again lol
I rode for about 25 minutes the other night and the squishy feel of no recoil on the suspension was awefull. The hunt begins to find something that will fit my bike. Front will be easy. Rear ... eh ...
Old 04-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc
Ah yeah derailleurs can be such a pain. Adjust them one minute, ride for an hour and back to adjust again lol
I rode for about 25 minutes the other night and the squishy feel of no recoil on the suspension was awefull. The hunt begins to find something that will fit my bike. Front will be easy. Rear ... eh ...
If you keep having derailleur issues, check your chain for excessive wear/stretch. There is a tool that measures your chain and lets you know if it is out of spec... well worth it. I went through the same issue 2 years ago... had to keep adjusting my gears. Checked my chain and it was pretty bad, especially after not being replaced for some years and putting no less than 2,000 miles a year. Changed out my chain and it operates like new again.

I also recommend changing out all of your cables, especially the cables for your brakes. Don't want to risk them snapping on you while riding.

Welcome back to biking

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff
Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc' timestamp='1459284562' post='23922474
If you keep having derailleur issues, check your chain for excessive wear/stretch. There is a tool that measures your chain and lets you know if it is out of spec... well worth it. I went through the same issue 2 years ago... had to keep adjusting my gears. Checked my chain and it was pretty bad, especially after not being replaced for some years and putting no less than 2,000 miles a year. Changed out my chain and it operates like new again.

I also recommend changing out all of your cables, especially the cables for your brakes. Don't want to risk them snapping on you while riding.

Welcome back to biking

Thanks.
Thanks for the advise and welcome. Feels good to be back even though it's at a snails pace. I used to pride myself on self maintaining but since it's been a while... I feel like a total noob all over again. You are right in the chain change. I feel my rear cogs might need replacing as well. The bike has held up pretty damn well for being 13 years old. But the age/wear is apparent. I also feel my rear break cable has stretched out A LOT. At least it will be fun to learn to upgrade the parts.

I used to use pricepoint.com for parts. Any other good ones you guys can recommend?