Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

A tribute to a Fallen Hero

Old 09-13-2001, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tribute to a Fallen Hero

Mark Bingham was on flight 93 when it crashed in Penn. He was an alumnus of my college (University of California, Berkeley) and was also a beloved Chi Psi brother.

I had the privilege of meeting this man twice, and both times I was thoroughly convinced that this guy had something special. He was kind, charismatic, and proactive in everything he did. He was the kind of person who could convince you of anything at anytime. He was the one who would make sure every single person around was feeling comfortable. He phoned his mother while he was on the flight, and there is no doubt in my mind that he and others on that flight did something to prevent further tragedy.

A few years ago, Mark was in San Francisco when he was jumped by 3 men armed with knives. He wrestled all 3 of them to the ground singlehandedly and managed to walk away from it all. He was no ordinary invidividual.

His love for life itself was tremendous and unforgettable. Whether he was playing on his national champion rugby team or doing work as a self-made business owner, he was always full of life. He was one of the most animated figures I had ever known.

A lot of people complain about never seeing any heroes, but I feel lucky to have known a true american hero. All those people who are out there in this time of tragedy are all heroes. God bless them.
Old 09-13-2001, 08:14 PM

It's kind of silly, but when all this unfolded I thought to myself, "Where is Superman"
I guess that's what happens when you watch to much TV...

Anyway, looks like he was on board that plane along with many other heros...thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:20 PM

i kept wondering why no one did anything on the plane if they were just armed w/ knifes and box cutters.. but after seeing that a plane fell short of its target it was obvious someone did something.. heroic people are what keeps this country free.

after hearing of the plane that hit the pentagon where people were hearded into the back.. and they knew of the WTC attack by talking to loved ones on cell phones.. why no one did anything.. maybe there were failed attempts.

its hard to say what you would do.. if you knew you were going to lose you life regardless.. the only difference maybe a few minutes of existance.. in which you could be saving several lives on the ground. i hope i would do the right thing.. i'm glad your friend did.

rest in peace Mark Bingham
Old 09-25-2001, 04:07 PM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/632626.asp?pne=msn
Old 09-25-2001, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Insomniak
http://www.msnbc.com/news/632626.asp?pne=msn
God bless those guys.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:28 PM

from http://cagle.slate.msn.com/main.asp

I recommend everyone check out the cartoons.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:33 PM
dsp

Good article on Bingham and other former athletes on Flight 93... check out Rick Reilly's column on the last page of the issue of Sports Illustrated with "The Week Sports Stood Still" on the cover.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:44 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those guys are true American heros. Their sacrifice saved the lives of many. God bless them and may they rest in peace.