S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Flashpro tuning questions

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Flashpro tuning questions

Totally new to this, been trying to read and learn as much as possible before asking.

The car: 06, dedicated track car.
Bolt on Mods: PWJDM intake, Tracy Sports header, test pipe, Challenge single race exhaust
Tuning scenario: I want to optimize VTEC engagement, A/F ratio, and generally create as much HP/TQ as soon as possible in the rev range. However ultimately, top end HP will be limited to ~215 due to class limitations.

That in mind, here are my questions

1. In reading most say the OEM O2 sensor is wideband, and reasonably accurate. therefore, there is no need to add one for tuning with flashpro. Is this true, and if so, is there any correction factor/safety factor needed to use OEM

2. Does flashpro possess the ability to limit top end HP via a throttle position/% of horsepower/rev limit method. In other words, any method to limit top HP number other than spark retard? I know there is an independent throttle position indicator. Can this cause problems?

3. Knowing that in general 06+ car can run a little lean, and that i might have to use spark retard, would you use an EGT gauge for tuning or is there enough safety margin built in.

4. If I use an EGT gauge, what pin position are you using to datalog extra inputs?

Thanks for you're responses
Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you made some really good choices for your particular needs! The '06+ rocks because of the FlashPro, and DBW will make it super easy to limit your peak HP without any compromises. The PWJDM intake is also probably the best choice you could have made for your class, since it really doesn't make any gains in the upper RPMs, but makes huge gains in the midrange (3500-5500). Even better than that is that the PWJDM makes quite a bit more power when the car is moving (almost 10 HP in 3rd gear), so a conventional dyno will effectvely under-rate your output.

I'm not familiar with the Tracy Sports header, but due to your class limitations, I would expect that the only benefit you could get from it will be weight reduction. The exhaust is fine too, but if you had one of my mid-pipes, you could have gained even more midrange torque. Unfortunately, I am sold out of them.

The OEM primary O2 sensor is a wideband, but is not well calibrated. It's fine for tuning if the tuner has a good way to calibrated it (as I do). With a good tune, the car won't run lean at all, so no EGT sensor would be needed. I suggest getting an eTune, then taking it to the "sactioned dyno" to dial in your DBW throttle mapping for 215 peak HP.

If you want to purchase one of my eTunes, I charge just $99.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM

So, you're thinking an add on wideband would be useful? Would this be a better idea if I elect to not use EGT?

I wasn't aware the dyno would underrate power because of the intake Do you think slightly more fuel in the 35-5500 range would be a good idea, since it won't show on the dyno?

You say it's will be easy to limit leak HP without compromises. Could you expand on the best method to do this?

Unfortunately I can't take you up on the etune. The car is really not street legal anymore, plus the streets around here are barely navigable in my 4x4 truck right now
Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Former Sponsor

There's no need to run an aftermarket wideband, as long as your tuner is good enough to determine the correction factor for your OEM sensor.

The dyno doesn't really under-rate power because of the intake. The car just doesn't make as much power while sitting still (with a PWJDM) as it would while moving down the road. If you had an FIPK intake, it would make more power sitting still with the hood up than it would while moving down the road with the hood closed. So basically, if 2 S2000's dyno the same, and one has a PWJDM while the other has an FIPK, the one with the PWJDM will have a signficant advantage on the track.

To limit peak HP with a FlashPro, you just need to alter the Target Throttle Map table. The stock throttle map has a 1:1 ratio between pedal and throttle plate, but you would need to customize it so that 100% throttle pedal equates to less than 100% throttle plate at high RPMs. You may find that you need the max throttle plate to be 90% at 7500 RPMs and 85% at 8000 RPMs.

I don't know what you're asking with regards to slightly more fuel in the 35-5500 range. The tune should be whatever it needs to be. There's no benefit in running more or less fuel than what it needs.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gernbys the man when it comes to a lot of this stuff, so I would definitely listen to him.

I learned how to tune my own car as well, and while frankly I'm not nearly as experienced as Gernby, I wont ever run a modified car without some form of wideband that I can constantly monitor. Gernby is right, a tuner thats worth his salt can get your car running fine on the oem o2 sensor, but a gauge can help with more than just tuning, weird hiccups that pop up, diagnosing problems as well as figuring out how the engines running at all times has been vastly helpful for me in the past couple years for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gernby
There's no need to run an aftermarket wideband, as long as your tuner is good enough to determine the correction factor for your OEM sensor.

The dyno doesn't really under-rate power because of the intake. The car just doesn't make as much power while sitting still (with a PWJDM) as it would while moving down the road. If you had an FIPK intake, it would make more power sitting still with the hood up than it would while moving down the road with the hood closed. So basically, if 2 S2000's dyno the same, and one has a PWJDM while the other has an FIPK, the one with the PWJDM will have a signficant advantage on the track.

To limit peak HP with a FlashPro, you just need to alter the Target Throttle Map table. The stock throttle map has a 1:1 ratio between pedal and throttle plate, but you would need to customize it so that 100% throttle pedal equates to less than 100% throttle plate at high RPMs. You may find that you need the max throttle plate to be 90% at 7500 RPMs and 85% at 8000 RPMs.

I don't know what you're asking with regards to slightly more fuel in the 35-5500 range. The tune should be whatever it needs to be. There's no benefit in running more or less fuel than what it needs.
I understood what you were saying about the intake, but misstated my reply a little. I figured all along, the car can make more in motion.

My question about 35-5500 regards the intake. Since it will make power while on the track (and therefore require more fuel) should the static dyno tune be slightly modified to account for that

Thanks for the other info
Old 02-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Gernbys the man when it comes to a lot of this stuff, so I would definitely listen to him.

I learned how to tune my own car as well, and while frankly I'm not nearly as experienced as Gernby, I wont ever run a modified car without some form of wideband that I can constantly monitor. Gernby is right, a tuner thats worth his salt can get your car running fine on the oem o2 sensor, but a gauge can help with more than just tuning, weird hiccups that pop up, diagnosing problems as well as figuring out how the engines running at all times has been vastly helpful for me in the past couple years for me.
The '06+ has a wideband sensor from the factory in the Primary position. There really isn't a need for an aftermarket sensor, since you can use an OBDII gauge to monitor the OEM sensor. You just need to know how the sensor is calibrated.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1392130662' post='23009951

I understood what you were saying about the intake, but misstated my reply a little. I figured all along, the car can make more in motion.

My question about 35-5500 regards the intake. Since it will make power while on the track (and therefore require more fuel) should the static dyno tune be slightly modified to account for that

Thanks for the other info
Ah ... I see. There shouldn't be a need to run extra fuel even then, since the fuel will automatically increase with the higher MAP that will be present while in motion.