S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   I'm a New Owner What to Change/Check/Replace First? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/im-new-owner-what-change-check-replace-first-1020648/)

Themikewoo 05-06-2013 05:38 AM

I'm a New Owner What to Change/Check/Replace First?

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a used S2000 from a car dealership/private sale, what should I check first?
I just bought a used S2000 from a guy on Craigslist and he was sketchy... I'm scared this thing is going to blow up!
I want to do maintenance to my new car what else should or can I do?
If you asked yourself these questions I believe my thread can help :)

I found it funny there was no thread that had information for brand new owners to get them to check the car over and replace worn out parts before they break. In my many hours of internet research I found lots of information about spark plugs, oils, and modifications, but nothing that really encompassed the whole picture. This is where I hope my thread will "fill the gap". Here is a list that I used to check my car over. Each steps is linked to the DIY thread or helpful information.

I used this the thread called What to look for when buying a used S2000 - by dammitjim as a starting step. This is a great thread and everyone should read it!

Do not take the previous owner's/seller's word about their maintenance frequency or anything else for that matter. I have prioritized some things which I personally feel should be done in order to help prevent any broken parts. Obviously if your S has an existing issue that would compromise safety then do that first.

Click here for maintenance schedule.

How to Properly Lift a Honda S2000 with a Floor Jack video

1. Changed engine oil.*****************Reset oil life light/indicator.
2. Changed transmission oil.
3. Changed differental fluid.
4. Changed spark plugs.
5. Check/replace serpentine belt.**********Change tensioner and serpentine belt.
6. Change brake fluid.
7. Change clutch fluid.
8. Draining and filling coolant.************How to change your coolant for dummies
9. Retorque Axel Nut.
10. Compression Test.
11. AP1 OWNERS* F20 engine valve retainer replacement.*********F22 engine already has upgraded valve retainers. (Think you don't need it? READ THIS!)
12. Timing chain tensioner.*******************Ballade Timing Chain Tensioner (TCT) Install

Once above are completed I feel these would be the next step.
1. Finding the cars "secret compartment"****************Secret cupholder divider!
2. Finding the gas door button.
3. Check for spring spacers.*******************Do this before getting an alignment, if not it will throw off your new alignment.
4. Check subframe for loose bolts.*******************Do this before getting an alignment, if not it will throw off your new alignment.
5. Get an alignment.
6. Engine valve adjustment.*********************Billman's DBW recommendation
7. Regrease shifter.
8. Buy seat locks.****************************Kodokan seat locks.
9. Change air cabin filter.*********************Click for video.********************Click here for another video RHD perspective.
10. Check/replace soft top straps.************Modifry's convertible fix details.********Roof mechanism doesn't fold correctly.
11. Replace/clean PCV.
12. 05-09 convertible top tears/deburring.*****Bike chain guard for soft top.*****Top support bar patch.
13. Setting the clock

Attachment 98436

I want to get rims? How do I know what will fit? Read the Wheel Fitment Guide. This guide was written for STOCK suspension. If you read it you will find out.
+++++++
Classic getting Enkei RPF1's to fit?

Interested in rolling your fenders? Check out Manga_Spawn's Fender Rolling Tips thread.

Want Rally Armor mud flaps? Click here ----- not actually Rally Armor
Front and rear hub bores are different, hubcentric rings is what I need!

Originally Posted by Cyrax (Post 22760779)
Thanks for the "To Do" list. This was immensely helpful in pointing out which parts I'll eventually be needing.

Edit: Here is a spreadsheet I put together with prices and part numbers so others have an easier time finding the parts they need as well as approximate prices. It should be noted these part numbers and prices are for a 2003 and prices are from hondapartsnow.com as I have used them in the past and have had good experiences with them.

This is not exclusively the things the OP mentioned, but some other parts and work I felt necessary for my peace of mind.

S2k Spreadsheet v11

Interested in Autocross?!? Check out the S2000 stock class autocross thread here.

Winter storage tips thread.
Post winter storage tips thread.
OEM Radio Code Finder

Please cast your vote in my poll. Feel free to comment and I will do my best to answer any and all questions.

Google search keywords: themikewoo, s2ki, s2ki.com, new owner thread, new owner, i'm a new owner, new Honda owner, new honda s2000 owner, honda s2000, honda s2k, new s2k owner, what to do to new car, s2000 new owner, s2000 new to me, s2000 what to do, s2000 what to do new owner, s2000 what to change, s2000 new owner what to change

TofuProductions 05-06-2013 12:00 PM

GREAT post :)

I did a lot of the above when I bought my 04 s2k with 7,200 miles on it last year in July of 2012.

No regrets and runs like a champ.

Car Analogy 05-06-2013 12:03 PM

I bought my S about 6 months ago, and your list is pretty well sums up what I've done so far. I haven't done the coolant or plugs yet, but they are on the list, as is valve adjustment. I also will be regreasing shifter and replacing the cabin filter.

Hadn't planned on the compression test, but I guess it would be a good idea to get a baseline.

The only thing I would change about your list is some of the things mileage based, so no need to do them if your S hasn't hit those miles yet. I would add valve adjustment to that list too if your new S has more than say 70K miles.

Themikewoo 05-06-2013 01:54 PM

TofuProductions - thanks for the comment! I have seen your threads and love you car :)

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 22523199)
I bought my S about 6 months ago, and your list is pretty well sums up what I've done so far. I haven't done the coolant or plugs yet, but they are on the list, as is valve adjustment. I also will be regreasing shifter and replacing the cabin filter.

Hadn't planned on the compression test, but I guess it would be a good idea to get a baseline.

The only thing I would change about your list is some of the things mileage based, so no need to do them if your S hasn't hit those miles yet. I would add valve adjustment to that list too if your new S has more than say 70K miles.

Edited post #1 :)

I was thinking about adding Honda recommended service and maintenance intervals into this thread but as a brand new owner I feel that for peace of mind to just do the service now. Obviously at the owners discretion.

Car Analogy 05-06-2013 06:40 PM

Check your soft top straps, replace with Modifry if needed.

check for spring spacers.

Replace (or clean) PCV valve.

stevenw 05-06-2013 07:43 PM

Awesome post! Thank you, sir!

Themikewoo 05-07-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 22524131)
Check your soft top straps, replace with Modifry if needed.check for spring spacers.Replace (or clean) PCV valve.

Great ideas! Added.

Originally Posted by stevenw (Post 22524229)
Awesome post! Thank you, sir!

No thank you :D

SlowTeg 05-07-2013 05:53 AM

Another "must check" thing is the soft top. If it's an AP2 verify that the TSB was done to deburr the sharp edge and I'd personally apply some patches on the insides to any spots that look like are getting excessive wear. Check the link in my sig.

Mr.60trim 05-07-2013 06:32 AM

Take it to Billman. thread\

:LOL: No seriously...this is a good thread. :thumbup:

Oneloveknk 05-07-2013 06:39 AM

Good stuff, also would add keeping an eye on oil after first oil change :tipwink: