S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dyno results and pics of the K&N AirCharger

Old 07-02-2002, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno results and pics of the K&N AirCharger

Some one suggested for me to post this thread in the "Under the Hood" area for people to see. Well here it is link for it. ANd for those of you who cares for the weight lost. The OEM airbox case and the lid weighs around 5-6 lbs. and the OEM Filter and the Tube weighs around 2 lbs! (Total of 7-8 lbs). But I think after the new K/N System installed, you get about 5-6 lbs saving. The best thing with the box removed there is plenty of space for other thing like external oil cooler and remote oil filter.

Here is the link:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=69312
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM

Do you still have the K&N aircharger?

If so, do you have a yearly emissins test and did you pass?

I understand that it isn't that big a deal to replace the stock box, but why do that if other CAIs give the same HP gain without having to do that every year?
Old 01-21-2003, 06:02 PM

The weight isn't worth all the dirt that the K&N lets in. I suggest and "outerwear" over the K&N, I think you can get them at motorcycle shops. Like a foam condom that slips over the filter. I did hours of research on K&N filters and one guy runs a mining company and changes oil based on samples submitted to the labs, thought he could save money over the paper throwaways and switched to K&N's on everything-got a big surprise when the samples came back-gross contamination from dirt getting through the filters and in the engine.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:59 AM

ras2k,
No, I haven't done the emission test yet (until July). But I'm planing on doing the emission with the Aircharger on it. I'm pretty sure it will pass the emission test.
It is very easy to install and uninstall after you done it once. It only took me 15 Min. the second time.
The reason to use the K&N Aircharger Vs. other CAI is that at the time when I purchased the product that was the only one actually gained Hp and without cutting any part of my car! Most every other CAI require cutting (at that time).

VTECPHIL#6829,
You might be right on the dirt being sucked in the filter, but I don't live near construction area or near a mining area. The air are not as bad. So, I wouldn't worry about too much dirt are being sucked in (Plus, aren't most other type of CAI have similar filters? And most of them are right there by the wheel)
I'm not sure how small (in Microns) a dirt particle might pass through K&N, but I have them in a lot of my cars and liked it and most them do breath better and produce more Hp and getting better mileage. You just have to oil it and clean it when it's getting dirty just like any other filter. (BTW, I didn't get the K&N because of trying to save money on not replacing filters all the time. I got them for better performance and mileage!)
I do have those foam type filter on my 2-stroke bike, but I really don't like to clean them. usually I just repace them with a new one.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:05 AM

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/1/

Filters like the K&N are not that bad of a performer. The metal mesh type and foam are pretty bad.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:26 AM

From the research Iv'e done indicates the paper filters filter a lot better than K&N, and if you put one on the end of a CAI, rather than compare on dyno to stock air box, the diff between paper and K&N horsepower with be very, very little. My Vortech S/C kit comes with the K&N so I think I will retain it, I will just add the Outerwear over, as it doesn't restrict flow and will give me a piece of mind. Also if you can get one, the JR filter seems to be the hot setup. PT
Old 01-24-2003, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am holding back on a CAI because I don't want to run the K&N since I don't think it filters as good as paper. How good is the JR filter compared to K&N?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:14 AM

the K&N are good filters. the ones you want to stay away from are the foam filters like the ones spoon runs. NOT good as they let a lot of crap through. The JR filter is foam with metal cotton as it's core. The K&N filters use cotton as the core element. Even the stock filter is based of cotton. Let's not spread misinformation here.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:56 PM

I haven't seen any independent tests where K&N filtered near as good as paper or as good as the Amsoil type 2 or 3 stage oiled foam. The K&N seems to flow a bit better at the expense of letting more material into the engine, perhaps twice as much depending on the grit size. Great for racing, but not for getting 200,000 miles.