S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine whine

Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine whine

I already posted in this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/815...e-whine-noise/

After swapping my TCT with the inlinepro TCT, I'm getting that awful whine noise. I've read on the boards that this can spell imminent doom for your engine. Before I installed it, I noticed it wasn't mating up with the head because the piston on their TCT doesn't retract as far as a stock TCT, so I called them. They said that's normal and to push it in, then walk it in with the bolts until it mates with the head, quoting "we've installed hundreds of them like that and we've never had one fail".

So I did just that. Now I'm getting an awful whine noise that matches RPMs and is worst around 2-3k, similar to the one in the video that the OP posted in the above linked thread. I called inlinepro again and they said "we've never heard complaints of a whining noise, pull off the cover and inspect the guides". I'm worried that I stretched the guide or the chain by installing their TCT, but what would've caused it to push out so far in the first place? I do not have an aftermarket head gasket installed. Also, it's important for me to note I was not getting the TCT noise before I swapped, I just have too much time and money, and I wanted to do it as a preventative measure since I like to engine brake a lot, and that can wear out the chain/guides.

Anyway, after I noticed the whine I instinctively soiled myself and took the IP TCT off to make sure the piston was indeed as fully retracted as possible, and it was. HOWEVER, this time, when putting it back in the head, it mated almost right up to the head. I only had to walk it in about a half a cm instead of an inch and a half or so, and that worries me.

The car does desperately need a valve adjustment for the record. Could that push the guide out further than it should be? Should I try to get a valve adjustment done with the IP TCT still on? Should I swap with the old TCT ASAP?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

You should NEVER have to draw the tct in with the bolts. If you cannot push it in flush with your fingers, you are going to break the chain. Immediately take that thing out.

An inline pro TCT, in it's completely compressed state, is BARELY able to install without having to draw in, which is ok.

However, on a low mile car or a chain that is in new condition, or on a TCT that is not 100% retracted, it will over tension the chain.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dudemaster
They said that's normal and to push it in, then walk it in with the bolts until it mates with the head, quoting "we've installed hundreds of them like that and we've never had one fail".
That is a very unprofessional thing to recommend. If that TCT retracting bolt slipped a fraction during packing or shipping, it will yield the results that you encountered.

They should have immediately send you another, and had that one sent back for examination.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM

thanks for the reply billman, and again I fully retracted the bolt person BOTH times I installed it. When I installed it the first time, it wouldn't even come close to mating with the head. When I pulled it out, recompressed it AGAIN and put it back in, it almost mated up completely Do you think I bent/warped the guide permanently?

I should also note I've driven it about 30-40 miles and the whine has not died down
Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM

When I pulled it out, recompressed it AGAIN and put it back in, it almost mated up completely
NO GOOD.

Take it out. If you cannot push it flush with the head with two fingers, then send it back.

Question...did you have TCT noise, or just doing preventative?

If your car has TCT noise, the IP TCT will likely go flush. If you don't have current issues, you may find that it cannot be pushed flush and that is unacceptable and will lead to a broken chain.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by dudemaster' timestamp='1357942978' post='22261417
When I pulled it out, recompressed it AGAIN and put it back in, it almost mated up completely
NO GOOD.

Take it out. If you cannot push it flush with the head with two fingers, then send it back.

Question...did you have TCT noise, or just doing preventative?

If your car has TCT noise, the IP TCT will likely go flush. If you don't have current issues, you may find that it cannot be pushed flush and that is unacceptable and will lead to a broken chain.
At first I thought I might have it. When warmed up, I get a bit of a buzz/vibration but the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like an exhaust issue, so I decided to do it as a preventative measure. The more I listen to youtubes of healthy F22 motors, the more I realize mine just needs a VA, and that they're naturally kind of noisy engines. What I'm more interested in is how exactly inlinepro's lifetime guarantee works. If during those 30 miles the chain broke, messing up my engine, how much of that would their guarantee honor?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 AM

Call IP again, explain it to them again. Or talk to someone else over there.

They better be buying you an engine if it breaks, provided they did state it is ok to DRAW IT IN with the bolts which is guaranteed to cause damage, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. This baffles me as IP guys are typically top notch.

I have installed their TCT before, and I assure you it can be pushed flush. Something is up with the compatibility between their TCT and your engine, or it is not 100% compressed.

Ask them to send you another fully retracted unit, and send that one back. Test fit it, and be sure you can push it 100% flush by hand.

Just to be sure, can you quote exactly what you were told? Maybe they said what I did and you missed it or misunderstood? I took their name off the thread title, until you get sorted.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 AM

Yes, I even did plenty of research before doing the TCT swap. The first time I tried to install and it did not mate, I went ahead and put the old one back in forgot about the IP TCT for a few weeks while I went on vacation. Before the vacation though, and directly after the first time I tried to install the IP TCT and it did not mate, I called IP and talked to Tom. I told him exactly what was going on, I told him the TCT was fully retracted (or as far back as theirs will go, the piston about 1cm above the cotter pin hole) and his exact words to me were "go ahead and push it in as far as it will go, then go ahead and use the mounting bolts to walk it up into the head". I even told him I'd read posts (even mentioned you by name) on this very forum saying if I do that, I can break the timing chain and possibly my engine, and his reply was "we've installed hundreds like that and haven't had a single one fail", and offered to retract the piston for me if I shipped it to them. Again, I know for a fact the piston was as far back as it could possibly go with their modifications.

After following his advice and walking in their TCT into the head with the mounting bolts (my friend and I at the same time with separate ratchets), I got what I'm pretty sure is the new whining noise telling me the chain is simply too stressed. There was always that typical s2 high pitched whine, and it could just be that I'm trying to listen for it now, but it certainly seems like the whining is much louder now, and definitely coming from the front of the engine. I drove straight home and went to bed, woke up early to call IP first thing. I told them exactly what happened, and reminded them of the subject matter of our last conversation. I even referenced THIS POST and continued to express concern for my poor engine. They offered again to let me ship it to them so they can retract it, and a different employee told me again that they've installed hundreds of them without a single complaint. I asked for Tom and reminded him that he told me to draw it into the head via the mounting bolts and the concern I expressed then, and while he didn't exactly say "of course I did, it's ok to do that", he did acknowledge having said that, and more importantly did NOT say anything implicating that it might cause any problems. Tom told me this time to pull off the cover and inspect the guides.

I'm taking the IP TCT out right now and swapping the old one back in. I don't blame IP and I don't want to make them out to be bullies. They were all very polite and professional on the phone as well as extremely accommodating. They never tried to rush me off the phone and they were willing to hear me out entirely. I just don't want to owe more than I already do on this beautiful machine.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 AM

Tom told me this time to pull off the cover and inspect the guides.
For WHAT??? So he recommends a very invasive procedure of pulling the cover to inspect guides? For a TCT that is very clearly too tight?

Do yourself a favor and put the old one back in.