S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil temp sensor placement

Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

looks great! Thanks for the update.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
That is something??? Ive been avoiding installing my psi/temp gauges because I didnt know wtf to do after that Canton pan crap
What canton pan crap ? I was lookin to pick one up ... Any issues ?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Just a little followup with my result, put in a baffle at the same time.

Looks quality work
Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would highly recommend not using the oil pan for tapping oil temp.

Compared to reading at the sandwich plate, the pan is incredibly volatile! You will see the temps drop quick when in motorway, and especially on a pissing down wet day!

The pan will work in terms of reading temps but I don't like it as on the street, due to the larger volume of oil in there as well as heat transfer, it takes a long time for the oil to come up to temp.... This is inaccurate, or lagged compared to reading off the block. Maybe my use of the word inaccurate is incorrect, it's actually accurate reading of the temp, but just the temp in the pan... As an example my car comes up to around 90C in street conditions in about 15min driving from cold... To see same temp and just by reading in sump, it took 30-35min...

Id much rather read at the block as its a higher reading and thus gives me buffer as opposed to the pan!

My recommendation is this

Sandwich plate for oil temp

If running oil cooler

If using greddy plate u can stick it in 1 out of 4 ports

If using mocal, use an inline pressure gauge adapter, just be sure to use a spacer as the defi oil temp sensors are like 28mm long so u will need a spacer for clearance!
Old 02-19-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Where did you read the temp in your pan?
With the sensor in the drain plug I can imagine that wind and outside conditions might disturb the readings a bit.
On the opposite side where I put it the AC bracket blocks it so I think it might be a bit more accurate.
If I had a sandwich plate I might have tried putting it there instead but I feel the oil sump temp is the more "true" temp.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misomoto thermostatic sandwich plate?

Originally Posted by plAythiNG
Would highly recommend not using the oil pan for tapping oil temp.

Compared to reading at the sandwich plate, the pan is incredibly volatile! You will see the temps drop quick when in motorway, and especially on a pissing down wet day!

The pan will work in terms of reading temps but I don't like it as on the street, due to the larger volume of oil in there as well as heat transfer, it takes a long time for the oil to come up to temp.... This is inaccurate, or lagged compared to reading off the block. Maybe my use of the word inaccurate is incorrect, it's actually accurate reading of the temp, but just the temp in the pan... As an example my car comes up to around 90C in street conditions in about 15min driving from cold... To see same temp and just by reading in sump, it took 30-35min...

Id much rather read at the block as its a higher reading and thus gives me buffer as opposed to the pan!

My recommendation is this

Sandwich plate for oil temp

If running oil cooler

If using greddy plate u can stick it in 1 out of 4 ports

If using mocal, use an inline pressure gauge adapter, just be sure to use a spacer as the defi oil temp sensors are like 28mm long so u will need a spacer for clearance!
Where would I install the oil temp and pressure senders with a Misomoto sandwich plate?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JRumble
Where would I install the oil temp and pressure senders with a Misomoto sandwich plate?
The sandwich plate comes with NPT ports that you can just screw the sensors into. You can then run your wires for gauges back into the cavity under the cowling where the windshield wiper motor is and then across inside that cavity to the driver's side for gauge hookups.

When I did mine, I bought a Canton oil cooler adapter plate and plugged the oil cooler ports with AN-8 (maybe -10) plugs. I then drilled and tapped two NPT ports onto the back side for my oil pressure and oil temp sensors. Later, when I bought an oil cooler, the plugs were pulled and oil cooler lines were attached.