Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. opps! Sorry! I feel like a dummy for not reading it properly; one of my biggest pet peeves that others do that drives me nuts, ha!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM

could someone please post a pic from the side of the car if you have these on ap2 rims. curious to see how skinny the profile is compared to zis. thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a post track day pic. I am on stock ride height and stock alignment. Compared to the Z1s these have a smoother curve from outer tread to sidewall. While it doesn't provide for that squared-up look, I believe it helps smooth out the car at the adhesion limit.

[attachment=38701:ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368028351.277517.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Super Sports-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21368028351.277517.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Just bought a set of 4 - stock size - for my 2008 S2K (base). Total paid including alignment and after $70 Michelin rebate is $791. Getting them installed Saturday - hope they live up to the hype and price.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running a 245/40r17 square setup for about a year now. I've put about 15k on the tires and there is still over 50% of the tread remaining. The grip is consistent in both cold and warm temps which makes this tire a must for myself(i hate putting heat into a tire to make them work on the street). The only thing i hate is that i can't get it in the 255mm size.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just completed my second track day with the Pilot Super Sports. In general, I was happy with how the tire performed. I'm not the fastest driver out there and certainly no seasoned track pro, however the tires are a good time and grip well.

I found that the tires began to overheat and lose grip about 15 minutes into a 20 minute session for me. This was on a tight and very technical track - one that was very hard on tires. Once the tires overheated I estimated they lost maybe 15-20% of their grip. So even in "limp mode" they weren't worthless, but you definitely could not corner as hard as you could earlier in the session.

I've found the tires to be very progressive and break away gently. At the limit, you'll get a light screeching sound and a gentle break away. Even as a relatively inexperienced track driver, I found them very easy to manage.

Here is what the rear right tire looked like after about 50 minutes of track time for me. Since the track was CCW, the righthand tires took most of the abuse. The other tires didn't look this bad.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
So I got my 18" Work wheels a couple weeks ago and just recently had them put on. For tires I chose the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. No, they were not cheap, but for me they were the best option available. I was looking for a very high performance tire that would ride decently well, not kill me in the rain, and get high levels of grip in a variety of conditions. I got them from Discount Tire, as they were by far the cheapest there.

What I'm coming from
I've owned my S2000 for about a year and drive aggressively on the street. I go fairly easy on the brakes, but cornering and acceleration would scare most normal people. I push it pretty hard when safe to do so. I have never tracked my car, but might in the future just for the fun of it. I have no aspirations of building a race car from my S.

Previous Setup
OEM 17" AP2V2 wheels
Victra Maxxis MA-Z1 215/45/17 tires in the front
Bridgestone RE050 245/40/17 tires in the back

The Victras are not a well known tire, but they are surprisingly decent. They grip well, handle rain well, and ride reasonably well. I have absolutely NO issues with understeer with these tires. I actually have far more issues with the rear breaking loose than the front with this setup. The Victras can take a beating and do it with grace.

The RE050s I have more mixed feelings about. They ride like bricks and grip is starting to wane as they near the end of their treadlife (currently about 30% tread left). Grip is still fairly decent in warm weather, though in colder temperatures they are MUCH harder.

New Setup
Work Meister S1 3pc (18x8 +43 Front, 18x9.5 +62 Rear)
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/40/18 Front
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/18 Rear

Weights
One of the things I was concerned about with this setup was keeping weight down. I knew the Meisters were a relatively heavy wheel, and that was another reason I went with the PSS - it was a light tire. Here is the total weight of the wheel + tire setup. Keep in mind the current setup is fairly worn and that new tires would be a bit heavier.

Previous setup:
Front = 42.6lbs
Rear = 46.2lbs

New setup:
Front = 44.4lbs
Rear = 47.6lbs

My scale probably isn't the most accurate in absolute terms, but it's likely good for measuring differences in weight. With the new setup I only picked up 1.8lbs per corner in the front and 1.4lbs per corner in the back. For the increase in size of the new setup, this isn't bad at all, IMO.

The tires

225/40/18 on the left, 255/35/18 on right.

It's curious to me that the grooves on the 225 are much larger than the grooves on the 255 width tire. My guess is that Michelin assumes people running the 225 size are putting it on the front of the car - which would make it more critical for channeling water than the rear tire size.

Groove width on the 225/40/18

Groove width on the 255/40/18

Tread width of the 225/40/18

Tread width of the 255/40/18

Impressions of the tires

I still have some issues with my wheels (long story) so I haven't gotten to drive on the tires much. However I have taken them out twice for a total of maybe 25 miles of driving. So basically they are still brand new. I don't even think the mold release compound has worn off yet. The first couple of rides have left a very positive impression. Despite moving from a 17" to 18" wheel setup, the ride is actually smoother on these tires. This is impressive considering I gave up 1/2" of sidewall.

Grip seems VERY high. I took a couple hard 90 degree corners at a speed where the RE050 would have gotten squirrely and started to break loose from the rear. The PSS just stuck with no drama. Likewise, I took a couple 270 degree freeway on-ramps at a very high speed and they very stable with no loss of grip. A similar speed on the previous setup would have resulted in the twitchy, "I'm about to break loose" feedback from the tires. None of that here. At this point I wasn't comfortable pushing them any harder, though I'm sure they could have taken it.

Keep in mind this was on brand new, cold tires, in 55 degree weather. It's too early to make any quantitative statements, but I suspect these things are going to be beastly once they fully break in and you get a bit of heat in them.

I will continue to update this post over the next several months as the tires break in and I get more street time on them. Feel free to ask any questions
I have RE11s on the S2000 due to OEM wheels not allowing Pilot Super Sports. I have the PSS on my M3. I'd jump on a set of the Michelins for the S2000 if it didn't require new wheels. They are the best tires I've had, and quite an improvement over the old Pilot Sport PS2s that came with the car.

Mind you, they aren't track tires. These are high performance summer street tires, so for the track you can find better tires. For mostly street use, you can't find a better tire. Just make sure to have a set of winter tires if you are in a cold climate. I'm in Northern CA, so I use them year round without issues, but I doubt that would be possible for most of the country.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TVPincDoc
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1325355142' post='21275896
So I got my 18" Work wheels a couple weeks ago and just recently had them put on. For tires I chose the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. No, they were not cheap, but for me they were the best option available. I was looking for a very high performance tire that would ride decently well, not kill me in the rain, and get high levels of grip in a variety of conditions. I got them from Discount Tire, as they were by far the cheapest there.

What I'm coming from
I've owned my S2000 for about a year and drive aggressively on the street. I go fairly easy on the brakes, but cornering and acceleration would scare most normal people. I push it pretty hard when safe to do so. I have never tracked my car, but might in the future just for the fun of it. I have no aspirations of building a race car from my S.

Previous Setup
OEM 17" AP2V2 wheels
Victra Maxxis MA-Z1 215/45/17 tires in the front
Bridgestone RE050 245/40/17 tires in the back

The Victras are not a well known tire, but they are surprisingly decent. They grip well, handle rain well, and ride reasonably well. I have absolutely NO issues with understeer with these tires. I actually have far more issues with the rear breaking loose than the front with this setup. The Victras can take a beating and do it with grace.

The RE050s I have more mixed feelings about. They ride like bricks and grip is starting to wane as they near the end of their treadlife (currently about 30% tread left). Grip is still fairly decent in warm weather, though in colder temperatures they are MUCH harder.

New Setup
Work Meister S1 3pc (18x8 +43 Front, 18x9.5 +62 Rear)
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/40/18 Front
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/18 Rear

Weights
One of the things I was concerned about with this setup was keeping weight down. I knew the Meisters were a relatively heavy wheel, and that was another reason I went with the PSS - it was a light tire. Here is the total weight of the wheel + tire setup. Keep in mind the current setup is fairly worn and that new tires would be a bit heavier.

Previous setup:
Front = 42.6lbs
Rear = 46.2lbs

New setup:
Front = 44.4lbs
Rear = 47.6lbs

My scale probably isn't the most accurate in absolute terms, but it's likely good for measuring differences in weight. With the new setup I only picked up 1.8lbs per corner in the front and 1.4lbs per corner in the back. For the increase in size of the new setup, this isn't bad at all, IMO.

The tires

225/40/18 on the left, 255/35/18 on right.

It's curious to me that the grooves on the 225 are much larger than the grooves on the 255 width tire. My guess is that Michelin assumes people running the 225 size are putting it on the front of the car - which would make it more critical for channeling water than the rear tire size.

Groove width on the 225/40/18

Groove width on the 255/40/18

Tread width of the 225/40/18

Tread width of the 255/40/18

Impressions of the tires

I still have some issues with my wheels (long story) so I haven't gotten to drive on the tires much. However I have taken them out twice for a total of maybe 25 miles of driving. So basically they are still brand new. I don't even think the mold release compound has worn off yet. The first couple of rides have left a very positive impression. Despite moving from a 17" to 18" wheel setup, the ride is actually smoother on these tires. This is impressive considering I gave up 1/2" of sidewall.

Grip seems VERY high. I took a couple hard 90 degree corners at a speed where the RE050 would have gotten squirrely and started to break loose from the rear. The PSS just stuck with no drama. Likewise, I took a couple 270 degree freeway on-ramps at a very high speed and they very stable with no loss of grip. A similar speed on the previous setup would have resulted in the twitchy, "I'm about to break loose" feedback from the tires. None of that here. At this point I wasn't comfortable pushing them any harder, though I'm sure they could have taken it.

Keep in mind this was on brand new, cold tires, in 55 degree weather. It's too early to make any quantitative statements, but I suspect these things are going to be beastly once they fully break in and you get a bit of heat in them.

I will continue to update this post over the next several months as the tires break in and I get more street time on them. Feel free to ask any questions
I have RE11s on the S2000 due to OEM wheels not allowing Pilot Super Sports. I have the PSS on my M3. I'd jump on a set of the Michelins for the S2000 if it didn't require new wheels. They are the best tires I've had, and quite an improvement over the old Pilot Sport PS2s that came with the car.

Mind you, they aren't track tires. These are high performance summer street tires, so for the track you can find better tires. For mostly street use, you can't find a better tire. Just make sure to have a set of winter tires if you are in a cold climate. I'm in Northern CA, so I use them year round without issues, but I doubt that would be possible for most of the country.
Back from the grave!

And the PSS wouldn't fit your oem wheels 'cause why?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Back from the grave!

And the PSS wouldn't fit your oem wheels 'cause why?
Looks like he has AP1 wheels, probably not available in those sizes.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn good tires, they are what I run. 225 front and 265 rear