S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 04-12-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow; I had assumed there had to be some catch and you couldn't have it all. Honda never ceases to amaze!
Old 04-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a general consensus on at what mileage the value of an S2000 generally starts to really fall off? 100k miles and $15k price tag is pretty common. In 5 more years and at 150k miles, is there a large decline in value? S2000s are appreciating, but at some point the desirability and thus value falls off for the higher mileage examples, no?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Cracking the 100K mark does affect value (whether is should or not), but I've seen the same thing. A 2006 with 90K vs. a 2006 with 115K could have a 3K price difference. Properly cared for, these can go for several hundred thousand miles. I bought mine at 111K (2006) for $15K last year, but it's in great condition mechanically and cosmetically. I had to do several things to improve some cosmetics since that many miles and years will show no matter how well cared for, but it runs like a top, doesn't burn an ounce of oil, and is as rattle free as one of these can be.

There's S2Ks I've seen with 60K miles I wouldn't touch, and ones with 150K miles that are in great shape. I would probably start questioning around the 150K mark, and look for something lower mileage, but that doesn't mean someone can't pick up a good deal for one with more miles. The ones that are appreciating are the ones with sub-50K miles. Find one with under 20K and you may be in the high $20Ks, and even close to original sticker. I would prefer one that has been driven though. Ones admired in a garage with fewer than 500 miles a year aren't really being worked, and can end up with more issues than one that's seen 10K miles a year.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

It's unfortunate that 100k is still the mark where people question vehicles. I do it myself but I am from an era where that was the death of a car or the time it would need MAJOR refurbishing. Cars built these days have so much more life in them, especially the Honda.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

It's funny, here in NZ the mark has traditionally been 100,000 as well, but it was 100,000km, or 62,000 miles, so our cars became "less desirable" sooner. Thankfully that attitude has waned over the years bit some people still baulk at anything with 6 digits on the odometer. My AP1 is at 64,000 miles and still almost like new.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:26 AM

2002 Suzuka, 131,564 miles, $9000
- clean title, but was bought by seller from auction 2yrs ago -- no CarFax available (considering purchasing)
- "I bought the car to keep I’m not sure why it was sold at a auction"
- seller bought at 115,000 miles 2yrs ago
- "Going to college in the city don’t need a sports car anymore"
- just put in new OEM clutch and new brakes (not sure what kind)
- oil changes every 3-5k; allegedly never driven on low oil; claims it only burns oil in vtec

The car looks very clean on both the exterior and interior. It does have the CompTech CAI under the hood, as well as a re-painted valve cover. There is also an aftermarket front lip, not sure what model.

Driver Side Exterior
Passenger Side Exterior
Front
Interior
Interior again
Engine Bay

What are your thoughts, fellas?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Priced fairly. Just be sure you'd be able to live with a suzuka. No offense to owners but I think the color is butt ugly.
The following users liked this post:
feelthinkfit (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by TylerS2k
Priced fairly. Just be sure you'd be able to live with a suzuka. No offense to owners but I think the color is butt ugly.
My preferred combo is Silverstone /w full red interior, but I'm pretty open to either Silver /w any interior color, Berlina, GPW, Suzuka -- in that order. I have a Cool Blue Metallic '07 Accord which almost matches the Suzuka, so I suppose they can be friends lol. AP1 for sure though.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It is fairly priced. Looks to be in good condition. I can't see if the front bumper VIN tag is in tact, but the hood tag looks like it's there, which is a pretty good sign of minimal body work. The front lip may be masking some rash on the bumper, but that's not uncommon with that many miles and is easily repainted. You can pull the lip and paint it also with Suzuka. The interior is also a bit hammered, but again, with that many miles it's to be expected, and nothing a good cleaning, some Clazzio covers and a new set of floor mats can't fix.

Drive it. Go over it with the check points that are well documented in the stickies. Look for evidence of major work underneath and in the wheel wells. You can also pull your own Carfax if you have the VIN - you just need to pay for it. Mechanically sound is most important; engine and transmission particularly.
feelthinkfit (05-03-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Few things that jumped out at me. Yes the car is priced well. My question is, did the seller mentioned anything about exhaust work? Even if it's just the tips, those are stock. Then there's the valve cover. It's not OEM red. I know it's a small thing. But what's on the car, what used to be on it, what has changed on the car, etc. etc., can clue you in on what the previous used the car for, and how it was maintained. Then it brings me back to the lack of carfax.

Someone also brought up the Suzuka Blue. While I do love the Suzuka Blue and I think it's such a cool color under certain lighting conditions, can you live with the all blue interior? I mean, you'd see that more than the exterior of the car...

So here's what I'll ask the seller:
- Hmm... those aren't OEM exhaust
- What happened to the stock red valve cover? Why is it black? What else did you do when you took off the valve cover?
- And you don't have a carfax for me
- What else are you hiding?

Here's what I'll ask myself:
- Can I really live with the all blue interior?
feelthinkfit (05-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3